What is that stuff?

Paul Clark

Took out the back seat. Tons of dried up chunks of tar (?) crumbling off of the padding stuff. Looks like carpet pad on a real bad day.
What do you replace it with?
It's going to be expensive, isn't it? :wink:
Thanks

It's just a sound deadening material. Take it all out and make your car lighter by about 15 lbs or so. Doubt if you will notice any difference in sound in the interior.

I took it out of the GN and noticed a big difference in noise. But than that car suffers from the drone caused by a single 3" ATR exhaust. If you're into originality than you should be able to find a mat that is still in one piece at the boneyard. I've noticed that the ones in the NA cars fair better than the turbo cars for some reason.

Sorry. No picture. It's all in the garbage - and the ShopVac.
Found some foil wrapped stuff at Menards and put that in there.
Time will tell.

Rear jute padding

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_i...d=211&osCsid=991139595eeab1b48c4ecaad2c972f35
We came out with this last year about half the weight & it has a thin rubber backing. It still gives you the sound deadning material behind it that looks exactlly like factory from the trunk. The rubber prevents the moisture from getting into your seats like the factory tar backing. I think it weighs 3lbs.
We also carry the under seat padding.