what is considered a fast street car et wise

id say yes also, compare that to my buddys stock 68 hemi dart that runs mid 10's although his car is very tempermental and runs different from one day to the next...

My car runs 7.5's in the 1/8th mile which equates to somewhere in the 11s

Here in San Diego, we have a program called Race legal where we have 1/8th mile drags set up at qualcomm stadium parking lot.

This, in conjunction with a major crackdown on street racing has pushed pretty much everyone into racing at the race legal events.

There are literally hundreds of cars racing some nights, and with two side by side tracks, you see alot of races.

Of all of these, the number of cars capable of running in the 7s is remarkably small. Even really brutal sounding big block muscle cars with enormous slicks are generally hard pressed to do much better than high 7s. Most of the cars running 7.5s or better are either straight up drag cars or really pricey high end tuner cars like this turbocharged mercedes I see there all the time, or an LS1 vette that obviously has alot of money into it.

When Ray Bunch (another forum member) and I would go, we pretty much had the fastest true street cars there.

So the point of this long winded dissertation is that yes, your car is very fast for a street car. I would say top 5% of those that race or better than that. Alot of people like to throw around low ET's in conversation like they happen all the time but pretty much everyone I have met that has done so has been full of crap.
I would say that the newer sbf and sbc cars with super chargers or nitrous + cam etc are running high 7s to low 8s from what I have seen. That is pretty fast.

my 1st gn said:
my car runs mid 11's is that considered fast for a street car that you could drive anywhere

When you drive your car around on the street. How many cars if any, do you think would have a chance against you? I'd say less than 1%. Although it's probably much less than that....

So yes. That is fast! :cool:

11's is run of the mill down here..

03-04 cobra's are doing that with bolt-ons
ls1's can do it with bolt-ons(NOS)

Most stock cars you will have covered if you run 11's, but once you get into modified cars, atleast around here..you need to be 10's to be top of the food chain..if you go out to car shows looking for big action, then you need to be in the 9's..and be able to hook.

blackshoebox said:

Most stock cars you will have covered if you run 11's, but once you get into modified cars, atleast around here..you need to be 10's to be top of the food chain..if you go out to car shows looking for big action, then you need to be in the 9's..and be able to hook.

I've noticed this too around my area.

blackshoebox said:

for sure, down here in houston mid 11s just driving around and pulling up to cars is pretty unbeatable.... But if you go looking for races chances are your gonna bite off more than you can chew. There are just too many 9-10 sec Cobras and LS1s around here(as well as some old school muscle and your typical sprayed 347 5 ltr)

Fast in imo is 120mph+ at the track, however if you can run 115 or better on the street, you wont loose many races, thats a lot of HP :eek:

In my opinion, THIS CAR is the definition of a street car. 10" tire, stock suspension, iron headed 109, no cage :eek: , and I see him driving it EVERYWHERE. The car will even pull the wheels on the street on a drag radial.

DCVING 6 said:
In my opinion, THIS CAR is the definition of a street car. 10" tire, stock suspension, iron headed 109, no cage :eek: , and I see him driving it EVERYWHERE. The car will even pull the wheels on the street on a drag radial.

:eek:

My car was street driveable and ran 7.1x's in the 1/8 on 93 octane at 98 MPH,just like I drove it through the entrance to the track,ran 11.20's in street trim in mid 90's heat.

I know of alot of 10 and even 9 second street cars running around dallas,so 11s are actually kind of mild.

when you run 6's in the 1/8th you tend to look for street bikes for a challenge. as others have said pronbally less than 1% of cars on the road can run 11's. :cool:

Yes it is fast. I have seen tubbed and slicked race cars not be that fast. What is the coolest is, you can drive that fast car to the track 60 miles in the a/c. Run 11's and drive home. Most of the other 11 second cars are trailered in.

sixgun86gn said:
My car was street driveable and ran 7.1x's in the 1/8 on 93 octane at 98 MPH,just like I drove it through the entrance to the track,ran 11.20's in street trim in mid 90's heat.

My car runs just about the exact same number in street trim, 7.10 @ 98mph 1/8, 11.20 @ 119mph 1/4, and only once and a while do I run into a car that can hang or outrun me. But thats just driving around, looking for a serious race around here you better be single digits - I know of more than one 7 second car running around here and lots of 8 second cars.

But for a car thats driven to the track and everywhere in between like yours and mine I think running 11's is pretty fast.

Jeez.. Well, then maybe I'll just say that I consider it fast. Or that it would be considered a fast street car here in Hawaii...... :p :cool:

Pablo said:
Of all of these, the number of cars capable of running in the 7s is remarkably small. Even really brutal sounding big block muscle cars with enormous slicks are generally hard pressed to do much better than high 7s. Most of the cars running 7.5s or better are either straight up drag cars or really pricey high end tuner cars like this turbocharged mercedes I see there all the time, or an LS1 vette that obviously has alot of money into it.

I find this is the case as well. Obviously my car isn't the fastest, but at the Street Legal Drags there are very few cars that are quicker - even things that look and/or sound like they should be. Sometimes they mix the Street Legal Drags with general "Test-n-tune" and I can beat some of the trailered in stuff too. Ironically the car that is usually the quickest/fastest street car is a blue Limited TR that consistently runs in the 10s. The guy shows up with his family, dumps them out, goes through tech, rips off a bunch of 10-second passes, loads the family back up and goes home. It's amazing. I haven't had a chance to talk to him yet but it's a really neat car.

Just cruising around on the street you will very rarely find a car that can hang with you from a stoplight. My brother and I were talking about this the other day - we wonder if people are even trying. I believe they are, but you leave them like they threw an anchor out the back. I mentioned this before, but the only thing that came close in recent memory was a new C6.

Just remember there is always someone faster - on the track or the street. The faster you go the chances of you finding that someone diminish, but s/he's out there somewhere and fate may put you next to them some day.

Now going out and looking for a race is a completely different story. There are some really sick streetable (looking) cars set up for street racing in this neck of the woods. You gotta be single digits.

Jim

my 1st gn said:
my car runs mid 11's is that considered fast for a street car that you could drive anywhere

If you are implying the times in your sig on pump and street tires----there is NOO way----if you mean---on some race gas riding arond on the weekend with some drag radials--then OK---it's quick.

Geoff