What is better, E10 93 Octane or R90 gas?

I have no interest in E85, thank you. This was just intended to ask :

"What to buy in unfamiliar area?"

With my XFI i can tell just how bad the fuel is ladden with ethanol simply by looking at the fuel correction percents. I alway run the pure gasoline in my cars and trucks when i can get it. There is a station a stones throw from my housr where i always fill up.

Direct injection plays a big part in ecoboost strategy. Not a fair comparison to our sfi engines. Direct injection is to fuel injection what fuel injection was to carburetors. One way they are the same though is that 93 octane will have no performance improvement over 87 without more boost. You may be surprised how far you can push the tune even on 87.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm already dumbfounded by the times this car has run in bone stock trim!!!!!

I run the factory chip @ factory boost. When I saw E85, I was in corn country at a grain elevator. None nearby that I have seen here. Octane is a ratio. I looked it up as chem class was a long time ago but it is still the same.

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, methane, propane and butane are all hydrocarbons. Methane has a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.
It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

You are correct about octane being a number. But the number you see on the pump is an average of the "researched" octane and the "mathematical" levels in the fuel, and the number is expressed in PPM, not a percentage of the final product.

You have to remember that gasoline and ethanol are two different fuels. Ethanol is less susceptible to knocking, and is commonly said to have more octane (everybody says 105). What you must remember is that it takes more ethanol to run your motor.

I run E85 with an E85 chip. If I put 104 octane gasoline (or even higher) without changing my chip, the car is going to tune SUPER fat rich even though the octane ratings are similar.

On the flip side, If I put my 93 chip in with 93 gas, it'll run fine. But if I have my 93 chip in and fill with E85, then go hot-doggin with a mustang......BOOM!

My point is that since you have a stock chip burned for gasoline, it doesn't mean that you can run E85 just because the octane level of E85 is higher than what the motor needs. It takes more E85 to operate the motor across the board since E85 has less "energy density" than gasoline, commonly accepted as about 30%.

I have no interest in E85, thank you. This was just intended to ask :

"What to buy in unfamiliar area?"

Try both and see what the car likes.

Do the research lots of car making BIG power on E85.

I've run 89 with a 30% E85 mix on alky 26# with no knock. Car ran 11.12 at 124.xx

Walter

IIRC, there is less refining in the blended fuels,such as 93oct with 10% eth. So, your getting a lower grade gasoline with the ethenal. Same with E85. The 15% gasoline in the the ethenal is low grade gasoline with a lot less refining.

I don't think I agree with that at all. As I stated earlier my car absolutely loves 93 E10

Nope, when it comes to my car it's not opinion, it's fact. Variables? sure, but still a fact.

If the people tuning the motor is tuning it for E10 its not going to like pure 93 and vice versa. If you done believe me get 2 new American made cars and run one on E10 and run one on pure 93 for about 100,000 miles and see which ones doing better. I'll save you some money it'll be the one ran on E10. Now if you buy 2 BMWs and did the same experiment the results would be reversed.

If the people tuning the motor is tuning it for E10 its not going to like pure 93 and vice versa. If you done believe me get 2 new American made cars and run one on E10 and run one on pure 93 for about 100,000 miles and see which ones doing better. I'll save you some money it'll be the one ran on E10. Now if you buy 2 BMWs and did the same experiment the results would be reversed.

So you have data to support this? I'm curious on the science behind this.

I do and don't lol. Am I supposed to discuss it, no. Did I slip while drunk, yes. Sinve I have had a few fast cars and word has gotten around my place of employement I have met people "smarter" than me. One of which told me about test they did with a, lets say "anonymous german car motor", one with a tune done one pure gasoline sold in Germany and one done with E10. Both ran great and very clean. The motors they tested on gas not rated for the tune looked like shit but ran fine. The reason is the way that the different fuels burn the tune can be changed so that the fuel is not an issue. I hope this makes sense.