What have a done to my beautiful GN

M

Matthew Stuart

Rebuilt my 85 6 months ago. Block had to go to .060. New pistons, New Crank, Kenne Belle tx1 cam, lifters, double roler timing chain, heads rewoked, stepped up on injectors, adjustable fuel regulator. Kenne Belle Chip, new headers and pipes and ram air all by KB.yada yada....here we go.....Changed oil last Sun...always used Mobile 1...took it out for a ride....hard ride...about 95 degrees outside and was all over it and BOOM... white smoke started rolling out of both banks. By the time I got it home, couple of miles, looked like the the mosquito truck had just drove thru. I mean it was thick. Checked oil...ate about a quart...no milk...I think no problem...just smoked the turbo, needed an upgrade anyway. Sent it to tubo shop in Dallas and upgraded to stage one. Put it all back together yesterday with great anticipation and was heart broken to still see the smoke out of both banks....looked like my house was on fire...ouch!!! Haven't torn it down yet but the only thing I can think of is I have suspect dip stick of all things and I got it quart to high...dum,dum,dum.....guys.... could that have blown the seals on this thing?? I want rollers anyway...lol..not really...I'm sick. What do you all think???

85 GN

Turbo man says I probably backed up drain with too much oil and turbo is burning it off...find out tonight :cool:

Do a leakdown test or compression at least,sounds like a head gasket to me.(asking)How does the oil backup? Seems impossible since it drains right into the giant sized lifter valley which should hold more oil than the pan but can't because it has huge holes in it?? Not to mention it is sealed off from the turbines:confused: LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES AND WHAT YOU FIND. Good Luck Matthew

first thing-i hope you let your rings seat before you put in synthetic oil.

either way i'm guessing you're going to be buying a scantool and two headgaskets real soon.:eek:

later,sean

What do you mean by white smoke started rolling off both banks? Do you mean smoke was coming out of the breathers? If that's the case then I would suspect your headgaskets or worse, the rings. .060 is too far to bore these things. Some people get away with .040 but that's pushing it. You could check your plugs to see if just one cylinder is burning oil or if they all are. If they all are it is probably nothing to worry about, maybe the turbo let go or the motor was way over filled. BTW, my friend has filled his with 12 quarts (don't ask why) and didn't have the problems you are. I hope it's nothing major. I've been there too many times. How much boost were you running?

Well here it is...got the oil level corrected, fired it up and no smoke.....it smoked before level corrected. I'm thinking cool it's up to temperature and no smoke. So I put it in gear and go... did not push it for 1/2 mile and started to lay in it a little..the smoke returned..not as bad as it was... but never the less it was there. The motor had about 1000mi on it before I went to synthetic. has about 3000 on it now.and the both bank thing was my mistake..keep forgetting about just 1 converter. It was getting late and I was pissed I so pulled the easiest side plugs 1,3,5. Found #5 to be oil covered.............#@%^#$^%@^#!!!!!! Anybody ever tried pulling a piston from the bottom...got to be a ring....don't ya think?? anyway be pulling compression tonight. Tonight was supposed to be golf nite with the boys. :mad:

i've always put 2500-3000 miles on new rings before going to synthetic.

do your compression test and let us know.

later,sean

On the bright side it could be a valve seal or blown headgasket. Could also be a cracked piston or rings. The pistons will only come out through the top. Good luck.