What grand of oil

vader-GN

I have a 1987 GN with 57K on it I and using valvline syn 5 30 motor oil. Is this ok:confused: ?

Look at the grade of oil and if its SM...GET IT OUTTA THERE.:biggrin:

They reformulated the oils and is flat tappett cam guys have zero protection now with that grade oil

I have a 1987 GN with 57K on it I and using valvline syn 5 30 motor oil. Is this ok:confused: ?

I agree with Turbo Nasty that you need ZDDP in your oil which the majority of current oils do not offer. If you search on "oil" and "ZDDP" you will see many threads on this matter.

I personally run Joe Gibbs "Hot Rod" oil, 10w30. It has all the good old stuff in the oil our flat tappet cams need. Not the cheapest though - it lists for 10.99 a quart but if you search around online you can find it for about $7.95 a quart. There are cheaper options than this, but the Joe Gibbs Hot Rod Oil is peace of mind for me and my 50,000 mile original motor.

Joe Gibbs Driven Hot Rod Oil

Vendor at $7.95 a quart: Campbell GearTech and a promotion sheet on the product: http://www.campbellgeartech.com/images/HotRodOil.pdf

I am sure many others will jump in and discuss STP additive with ZDDP in it as well as the ZDDP additive Kirban sells. I believe all are good options (another good option is diesel engine oils) to give our flat tappet cams the protection they require.

As far as off the shelf goes Amsoil Synthetic is abundant and it is flat tappet cam safe.

Castrol syntec, a synthetic off the shelf is a good properly rated oil.

Valvoline racing oils in conventional dino. are good also, especially the non-street legal ones.

I think their synthetics are only SM rated, maybe SM, SL not enough ZDDP for me.