What functions are disengaged when SES is on?

Hardway

As referenced in my Power Possibilities thread my TTA has "unexplainable reliability" issues and this morning it happened again. The car ran good and strong last night, got in it this morning, turned it on, let the FP prime, turn the key and the motor just turns. Turned off, tried it again, engine turned some more and acted like it wanted to start. Tried it again, ran for about a second then just died. It did this about 4 more times, each time I am pressing the accelerator at different positions and I can hear the FP prime for 5 seconds after each time it dies. Finally it started up but ran really rough, the SES light came on and it smoothened out a little. I let it sit about 1,200 rpm for a minute or two and took off to work. The car's throttle response felt a bit slow but the car felt better at idle than it has all week and I was still able to build 10psi of boost when I had to pass someone. When I got to work I turned it off and turned it back on, car started right up, ran rough, and now SES is off. At idle I can hear the cam knocking so I know that is definitely not helping my problem. Anyone else run in to anything like this?

Cam knocking?

Please explain what a cam knocking sounds like. I have a funny knock when my TTA gets hot and the best explaination I have got was it is a flat cam from Quick 6n in kc BTW.

As referenced in my Power Possibilities thread my TTA has "unexplainable reliability" issues and this morning it happened again. The car ran good and strong last night, got in it this morning, turned it on, let the FP prime, turn the key and the motor just turns. Turned off, tried it again, engine turned some more and acted like it wanted to start. Tried it again, ran for about a second then just died. It did this about 4 more times, each time I am pressing the accelerator at different positions and I can hear the FP prime for 5 seconds after each time it dies. Finally it started up but ran really rough, the SES light came on and it smoothened out a little. I let it sit about 1,200 rpm for a minute or two and took off to work. The car's throttle response felt a bit slow but the car felt better at idle than it has all week and I was still able to build 10psi of boost when I had to pass someone. When I got to work I turned it off and turned it back on, car started right up, ran rough, and now SES is off. At idle I can hear the cam knocking so I know that is definitely not helping my problem. Anyone else run in to anything like this?

Howdy!

These symptoms point strongly to a fuel deleverly problem. 1st check yer fuel pressure, motor hot should be (vacuum line off) 45 psi for (16.5 boost stock)
this is at idle. Now check and replace yer fuel filter and if the problem persists, Well! Fuel pump time. HTH

Sounds just like my situation minus the cam slap...Quick test I found was attach a fuel pressure gauge to the rail then clamp the return line so no fuel could possibly flow back to the tank...if the pressure doesnt skyrocket theres your problem(bad fuel pump)!

If your SES is on pull the codes from the ECM by the ALDL connector. That'll give you a better clue as to what the issue is.

Some of you have been thinking the same thing I have. My fuel pressure is set at 45psi on the money. The car died some more this weekend (day after inspection and passed) YAH! and would not run this morning. When it did run on Sunday I pulled the ECM codes and got a 33 and 42. I looked them up and it points to my MAF for 33 and ignition module or bad wiring to the ignition module for the 42. The car definitely has a cam issue that I have known about but has never created a problem like this. When it bangs and knocks it feel like it is ignition related since it would feel like it is cutting in and out while driving. About 4 months ago I put all new plugs, wires, coil pack, ig. module, and AFPR. This morning all it would do would run super rough, shaking the car pretty hard, backing firing, and die. After about 6 attempts to make it run I hopped in my '69 Camaro and came to work. With over 200K on it and the cam issue it is ready for a rebuild. There may be something internal I am missing. When I get off work I am going to see if it will start and check out some more things under the hood. I will post what I turn up. By the way, the car has never run over 220, always cruises and idles around 190.

Sounds like a bad MAF to me. Unplug it and see if the car runs better at part throttle, just don't get on it. It'll let the ECM run off of the default values instead of taking bogus readings. Improper fueling caused by a bad MAF can cause mis-firing which could explain the code 42

Another possibility is your TPS. It can trip a MAF code if the read value of the MAF and the corresponding TPS value is beyond the threshold. That could also cause improper fueling/misfiring.