What Factor(s) Made You Purchase Your First Turbo Buick???

Well, I was born in 72, I grew up pretty poor, in a somewhat poor area. My dad worked construction/remodeling and never had much, and we just scraped by pretty much. In high school (graduated 1990) there was one guy with a "fast newer car" (there was a few early 70's muscle cars around of course) it was a Monte Carlo SS, and it was rumored that it was really a dog compared to "the fastest production car, the Buick Grand National". I never saw one in person, saw plenty of Regals of course, the V8 dogs, and they weren't too shabby (at least according to the owners they weren't). I saw a white T-Type once, it was ragged out, driven by a guy at a place I worked (1994-1997) and I knew that it was "basically a Grand National that wasn't black" but his was ragged the hell out. But honestly, before I got mine I'd never really seen and I definitely never TOUCHED in any way at all, a GN or Turbo T.

When I started doing ok for myself I bought my first V8 and my first "fast" car, a 2003 Ford SVT Lightning, I loved that thing, but it was still under warranty and I didn't much want to go modifying a warranty car (plus I wanted to build a badass truck of the vintage I really loved, and that vintage isn't the 99+ F150). So I sold it, and bought and built an old truck of the body style I always loved, the 73-87 Chevy (85 Silverado with the 88-91 Blazer front grill) and a built 406, oh man that truck is fun.

While I haven't gotten slips with it or the GN yet, if I had to bet cash on which was faster (in a straight line), I'd only reluctantly bet on the GN, that 406 small block is seriously a beast, and the 3.73 posi really give it some bite, that "farmer's ride" can hit 100 a helluva lot faster than anyone has any business to.

So I sold my SVT and I had this cool old truck but I wanted something, something was missing, I knew what it was, my buddies also knew, and they encouraged it. The fabled and mythical Grand National. So I searched. And searched. Eventually driving 650 miles to Virginia to buy mine.

It had some issues when I got it, but I have worked most of those out, and now it runs like a beast and man does it draw a crowd, and puts a grin on my face every time I crank it. Other than having the tint put on the windows (while I sat next door) no one has touched it since I bought it, other than the passenger seat, and of course, the old lady's drove it a couple times.

It's like, the perfect car for me, the fact it's a full sized American car that looks mean as hell, which satisfies my redneck side, and the fact I can tweak it and (with the powerlogger) hook my laptop up to it and get awesome data files and stuff, satisfies my inner geek. No other car I know of could do both, well maybe a Turbo TA :D.

Just look at my sig, on one side you have the 85, it satisfies every redneck urge I have but none of the geek, on the other, is the Galant VR4, AWD, Turbo 2.0, all the geek tweaks you can hope for, but it satisfies not one iota of my redneck side, in the middle, the GN doing both, the only thing it can't do is haul hay or lumber or well, stuff you need a truck for of course.