What drag radial should I get?

Maltman

I need to make an investment in drag radials and I was thinking about a "255/50R16 BFGoodrich Comp T/A"

I want to find tires in this size since I spent the time to get the speedo right for the goodyear street tires that are on the rims now. I did some searches and it was the only tire that came up under this size.

Any help out there?

Mark

I used the 275 50 15's and they seemed to work well. When I went to the Cruizn' OC show - about 200 miles, I got some 255 60 15's. Regular BFG Radial T/A's, not DR's, and they seem to work better!?!?

Based on that experience, I would seek as much sidewall as possible.

I also would not be too concerned about such a specific size - as long as you are within 1 inch in tire height. Do you already have 16" wheels?

Yes...the car has 16 rims w/ 245/50 up front and 255/50 at the rear.

Sorry I didn't make it clear in the first post, but I don't even have the original 15" rims anymore to accomodate the 275s. I'd say that I do more cruisin' than racing at the track....but I don't want to have 2 sets of rear tires for the different conditions ($$$$$) and I figure a drag radial (since I never see the rain) is better than running a performance street tire.

I'm finding out too fast that the more money you throw at the engine = more spinning at the rear.....I'm just looking for a bandaid...not the cure ;)

Thanks,

Mark

Go with Nittos, not BFGs. Nittos last far longer and are much better in the wet than BFGs. This is experience talking.

Another vote for the Nittos. They are a good hooking tire and the tread will hold up nicely on the street. Plus, no scary tail sliding incidents in the rain unless you decide to give it too much throttle.

More 2 cents

I've got a local buddy that has a GN with Nittos, and I've got BFG's, we've talked about it at length before. We both seem to agree, the Nittos are better in the rain and last longer, but the BFG's hook better. Your choice. - BB

You guys using the same size tire? Hard to say which hooks better when two different cars are used. I had both on my GN and without a doubt the Nittos hooked better. I have a friend who went 1.45 60' on Nittos. Best I ever went on BFGs was 1.55.

I have found the Nittos more consistent as well.

I think my only problem now is that the BFGs are the only tires that come in the 255/50 that I want......I'm not finding anything other than a 245/50 for the Nitto :(

...I suppose if it is possible to match the speedo with the "external" speedo gear (meaning I don't have to drop the pan and all the other garbage needed to change the internal gear).....well, then it sounds like it might be worth it.

However....won't I be losing some surface area by going down to a 245 from a 255???

Thanks for the replies so far!!

Mark

The difference between the 255 and 245 will be a non-issue since overall the Nitto is a better tire. Your aspect ratio will also remain the same (50 series). The 245 Nitto is 25.67" tall and 9.8" wide versus the 255 BFG which is 26" tall and 10.3" wide. That's only half an inch wider and .33" taller. Not even worth the effort to regear the speedo.

Yeah...I guess your right on the difference...it wouldn't be that bad. Thanks turbonatr....and thanks for the link krom! :)

Now, next on the list before ending the post.....what is a good price for new Nitto's???

Thanks again,

Mark

At the BPG test&tune last week at Norwalk I was getting 1.67 60fts out of a 255/50/16 drag radial. I was pretty consistance on the 60ft. This was leaving with 0 boost,although I have a 9/11 converter. Anything more than 2lbs of boost would kill the tires. Note I have two sets of rims,one for the DRs,and one for the regular TAs[265/50/16]. Now I need a set for the slicks I just got

Originally posted by turbonatr
You guys using the same size tire? Hard to say which hooks better when two different cars are used. I had both on my GN and without a doubt the Nittos hooked better. I have a friend who went 1.45 60' on Nittos. Best I ever went on BFGs was 1.55.

I have found the Nittos more consistent as well.

Damn!!! Nice 60's!!!!!:eek:

Yup, his car really liked the DRs. We both ran the same size, 275/60/15, but he ran a bit more negative pinion angle than me. I think that's what made the difference. My car is about 3/10ths quicker in the 1/4, though. He ran a stage 5 turbo and I ran a Q trim T70. I would drive around him at the top end. Best 60ft. for me on slicks is a 1.47. Slicks are 28x9" Hoosiers.

BTW, Jegs now carried Nittos.