What doesit mean to have a good tune?

czimpel

Boost...gotta get some!
Keep hearing over and over that your car will do 10s, 11s, etc. with a good tune. I'm confused as to what this really means.

For example, if I put together my combo scanmaster, rjc 3" down pipe, 60-1 turbo, duttweiler neck slic, dw300 pump, racetronix Hotwire kit, 120s, and a tt5.7 chip, drinking E85 someone told me it should be good for 11s with a good tune.

What is there to tune with a stock ECM, no maf pro, and a tt chip. Am I missing something about what a good tune is, or is this not an option with my setup?

The tune lies in the chip itself. The 5.7 chip has the ability to fine tune several parameters to get your "tune" perfect...every car is different so even if you purchase a 5.7 chip from TT ( the 6.1 has even more tuning capability...) the tune set in that chip may require more fine-tuning to make it run it's best. Eric does a great job and most can simply run w/ his chips right out of the box ( i did on a Stage car w/o problems for years ) however for those trying to maximize their combination/timeslips they will log their runs and make adjustments to the chips parameters for their specific vehicle such as timing, fuel correction, etc...

When I think of the term "good tune" I think of a tune that is reliable, is meant for your specific parts, and most importantly makes the most power while still being on the safe side.

czimpel said:
Keep hearing over and over that your car will do 10s, 11s, etc. with a good tune. I'm confused as to what this really means.

For example, if I put together my combo scanmaster, rjc 3" down pipe, 60-1 turbo, duttweiler neck slic, dw300 pump, racetronix Hotwire kit, 120s, and a tt5.7 chip, drinking E85 someone told me it should be good for 11s with a good tune.

What is there to tune with a stock ECM, no maf pro, and a tt chip. Am I missing something about what a good tune is, or is this not an option with my setup?
I'd be shooting for 11.40 minimum with what you have. Good tune means getting the most out of what you have safely.

Firechaser said:
The tune lies in the chip itself. The 5.7 chip has the ability to fine tune several parameters to get your "tune" perfect...every car is different so even if you purchase a 5.7 chip from TT ( the 6.1 has even more tuning capability...) the tune set in that chip may require more fine-tuning to make it run it's best. Eric does a great job and most can simply run w/ his chips right out of the box ( i did on a Stage car w/o problems for years ) however for those trying to maximize their combination/timeslips they will log their runs and make adjustments to the chips parameters for their specific vehicle such as timing, fuel correction, etc...
The tune doesn't lie in the chip. The tune lies
with the tuner. Knowing where to go next and how far you can go is tuning.

Bison is so very correct. I have a good tune. I had to go through logs. Compair logs. Hours of trying different settings. Timing. Boost. Fuel. Hard to do without Powerlogger or FAST. You can tune for no knock with a scanmaster but there's no substitute for data to go back and look at.

all very well said......and I think that is a great question.

Many of us know that you can not neccesarily throw parts at these cars and expect them to perform. I run one of erics chips and set at the boost level I told him it runs great right out of the box.

Like said earlier tunning relies on the operators ability to make adjustments based on what the car is doing......for example....timing,boost fueling etc.... espeially when you want to start turning up the wick.......more boost and not enough fuel to compensate results in bad things......or the flip side of too much fuel and the car is a turd......this is all your "tune"also not to leave out suspension and tweaking to get traction other wise it does not matter how much power you make if you can not plant it.....

For a long time all I had was a fuel pressure gauge and a scan master.....I would just tune for zero kr.....however I recently got a PL and the amount of info you get from that is amazing! I would suggest some type of data logging to anyone who wants to push their car even if its a little bit.

All awesome info, and it's starting to make more sense.

So, if I understand this correctly, will I be using the sm to adjust the fuel and timing of my motor?

Also, should I be using a boost controller for boost? I have a mechanical one, but it's not installed yet.

To me, having a "good tune" means having a fast car...pretty simple, no?

Claude. :D

Thanks Claude, maybe the single gauge pod it will be fast! ;)

All awesome info, and it's starting to make more sense.

So, if I understand this correctly, will I be using the sm to adjust the fuel and timing of my motor?

Also, should I be using a boost controller for boost? I have a mechanical one, but it's not installed yet.
no boost controller needed.the scanmaster will help you monitor the 02 reading and knock to help tune .to high on the o2 car runs like a turd,to low and knock. all i had for years was a scanmaster,they work great for what they are,but if you plan on racing alot,or want to get all you can out of your combo a powerlogger or xfi is the ticket

Keep hearing over and over that your car will do 10s, 11s, etc. with a good tune. I'm confused as to what this really means..........

You are not the only one confused, just an honest owner not afraid to admit it! :)

Actually I am also confused with all the "stuff" guys need to go fast, or at least improve performance of their car.

My opinion is that it requires the proper combination of parts to "tune" your GN.

In the "old days", before Powerloggers, tunable chips and other do-dads, we could run consistent and reliably 11's and 10's on a basic, custom chip. We did not need to mess with timing and fuel, as with the proper chip had the correct parameters for the desired performance level.

But the turbo, injectors, converter, fuel system, suspension and other items were matched to perform at the owner's desired level.

I now see many guys increasing their power level beyond their build level, and have issues with reliability by pushing mis-matched parts, or have trouble reaching a new level?

A Scanmaster or Powerlogger is a great addition to obtain data which can help avoid trouble, but you still need the right combination of parts/build to achieve your desired power level and be reliable. :)

A GOOD TUNE MEANS YOUR NOT REPLACING HEAD GASKETS OR A NUMBER OF OTHER THINGS . WHEN YOU FIND OUT YOU HAVE A BAD TUNE . BREAK OUT YOUR WALLET !

And to stay on topic are their any good tuners left in the tri-state area?

Good tune to me has always meant that the a/f, timing, etc was at it's optimal for performance and safety in terms of holding up.

You are not the only one confused, just an honest owner not afraid to admit it! :)

Actually I am also confused with all the "stuff" guys need to go fast, or at least improve performance of their car.

My opinion is that it requires the proper combination of parts to "tune" your GN.

In the "old days", before Powerloggers, tunable chips and other do-dads, we could run consistent and reliably 11's and 10's on a basic, custom chip. We did not need to mess with timing and fuel, as with the proper chip had the correct parameters for the desired performance level.

But the turbo, injectors, converter, fuel system, suspension and other items were matched to perform at the owner's desired level.

I now see many guys increasing their power level beyond their build level, and have issues with reliability by pushing mis-matched parts, or have trouble reaching a new level?

A Scanmaster or Powerlogger is a great addition to obtain data which can help avoid trouble, but you still need the right combination of parts/build to achieve your desired power level and be reliable. :)

Well said Nick!

This is one thing I have also learned over the years.....I have finally got my combo dialed in.......I see so many cars and not just TB that have mismatched parts. They have big go fast items bolted on and wanna know why their car does not run like it should.o_O

Well said Nick!

This is one thing I have also learned over the years.....I have finally got my combo dialed in.......I see so many cars and not just TB that have mismatched parts. They have big go fast items bolted on and wanna know why their car does not run like it should.o_O

You mean a stock motor with an 101 mm hanging off the front isnt going to push 1000hp and go 8's :D

When tuning with the TT chip, what is the procedure to get it right?

Something like this?
• Tune for A/F ratio and no knock with the add subtract fuel settings.
• Then tune with timing to get the most power with no knock.

Is this close, or am I way off. Do you tune with fuel and timing at the same time?

Also, with tuning timing, is the higher the timing more power and more knock potential? Or is it the other way around?

Thanks.

czimpel said:
When tuning with the TT chip, what is the procedure to get it right?

Something like this?
• Tune for A/F ratio and no knock with the add subtract fuel settings.
• Then tune with timing to get the most power with no knock.

Is this close, or am I way off. Do you tune with fuel and timing at the same time?

Also, with tuning timing, is the higher the timing more power and more knock potential? Or is it the other way around?

Thanks.

I would also like to know this