What does my tune need?

Eric Stauch

Nasty87
I will try to give as much info as I can, I'm still very new to tuning. Having trouble with my car right when you nail it from roll it will black smoke for a second then pull great but then kind of nose down and not pull as good. Just installed my innovate LC2 wideband and cruising around I'm anywhere from 13.9-14.5 but get into around 5lbs or more of boost and it drops to 10.-9.5. Can't remember what's all in my sig so here's a shake down. 87 mainly stock but fresh bottom end. Ta49 ~22-24lbs of boost. 42lb injectors alky control(yes it is coming on and working as it should) TT chip stock mass air. Scan master&power logger. Am I just not getting enough fuel? Oh and the fuel pressure is set at 43 lb I think. Whatever turbotweek told me to set it at, I'd have to go back and look. Opinions? If I left any info out I can supply it. Thanks guys.

I will try to give as much info as I can, I'm still very new to tuning. Having trouble with my car right when you nail it from roll it will black smoke for a second then pull great but then kind of nose down and not pull as good. Just installed my innovate LC2 wideband and cruising around I'm anywhere from 13.9-14.5 but get into around 5lbs or more of boost and it drops to 10.-9.5. Can't remember what's all in my sig so here's a shake down. 87 mainly stock but fresh bottom end. Ta49 ~22-24lbs of boost. 42lb injectors alky control(yes it is coming on and working as it should) TT chip stock mass air. Scan master&power logger. Am I just not getting enough fuel? Oh and the fuel pressure is set at 43 lb I think. Whatever turbotweek told me to set it at, I'd have to go back and look. Opinions? If I left any info out I can supply it. Thanks guys.

Where are you located?

There are lots of talented guys in all parts of the country that can/will be of assistance. Some are more knowledgeable than others......... you need to research that part.

What Maf do you have? WB is pig rich.

Stock MAF. I have a translator GEN II and a brand new LS1 MAF. Had it all on the car and was terrible. Just poured fuel to it. Now I know that's my fault not having the GENII set right. But I couldn't find anyone to help me tune it. Just kept hearing "oh if you had a FAST or a translator pro I could help" so not knowing how to fix it I put it back stock.

What were your MAF in and MAF out settings on the GEN2? I haven't used the GEN2 but the menus are similar with the Pro so perhaps we can figure out what was messed up with your earlier install and you can ditch the factory maf.

You have alky, do you have an alky chip? The Gen II really needs bobs chip to use all the features, a regular translator would be easier to use. I have Gen II and it was pretty easy to set up, the timing adjustments won't work with the TT chip and the fueling adjustments might not either. You should be able to trim the wot fuel with the chip

Hey eric check with aminga on this site he has help me with my car im in trinity no tuner for sure maybe we can get together and go for a ride

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Stock MAF. I have a translator GEN II and a brand new LS1 MAF. Had it all on the car and was terrible. Just poured fuel to it. Now I know that's my fault not having the GENII set right. But I couldn't find anyone to help me tune it. Just kept hearing "oh if you had a FAST or a translator pro I could help" so not knowing how to fix it I put it back stock.

You're in the EXACT same situation I was in last month.

Man our work computers are messed up. At any rate, look up my "tough knock question" thread and read up. When you're done, call me, I have a lot of information for you. It'll be better by phone.

You have a stock maf and a TT chip with a gen2 translator??

The main features of the gen2 are pretty much useless with a tt chip. Basically the only thing it's good for is tuning idle and cruise. Once the maf reading reaches 255 the chip is doing all the work. No AFR tracking. No timing control. No wot fuel control.

Not that it will solve your problems but to get the most out of the gen2, get a extreme G chip or you might as well remove it from the car.

EDIT: I see above that you removed the gen2.

Rick

Last edited:
You have a stock maf and a TT chip with a gen2 translator??

The main features of the gen2 are pretty much useless with a tt chip. Basically the only thing it's good for is tuning idle and cruise. Once the maf reading reaches 255 the chip is doing all the work. No AFR tracking. No timing control. No wot fuel control.

Not that it will solve your problems but to get the most out of the gen2, get a extreme G chip or you might as well remove it from the car.

EDIT: I see above that you removed the gen2.

Rick

"The Translator Gen2 is a device that allows you to change fueling by altering the airflow reading under varying conditions.

The TT chip you are using cannot read past 255 gr/sec airflow. As long as the airflow reading is under 255, then all the Translator Gen2 fueling adjustments will work. You will hit 255 in the 15-17psi boost area on most cars.

The spark adjustments in the Gen2 will not work with your TT chip under any circumstances.

Eric Marshall"

And, you can do your spark thru your chip. Though you don't really need to mess with your timing. For now... You can also do WOT fuel on your chip. Which you may need.

It's just a little too rich, not a big deal. Either reduce alky or reduce WOT fuel using the chip. Try the alky first. If it starts to knock, put it back and do fuel instead.

You have a Powerlogger. Take a log and post it here.

Regards,
Eric

What were your MAF in and MAF out settings on the GEN2?

I would have to look back in my book to make sure but I believe it was 3.5 ls1 in and extender out. I may have that backwards. I had a extreme G chip in with that set up. I removed that chip when I removed the translator

Are you not getting enough fuel? Yes you are. You're gettting TOO much. Do what Eric says. Turn one or the other down. What are the settings on your pac controller and alky control box? And where is your wideband 02 sensor mounted?

It's just a little too rich, not a big deal. Either reduce alky or reduce WOT fuel using the chip. Try the alky first. If it starts to knock, put it back and do fuel instead.

You have a Powerlogger. Take a log and post it here.

Regards,
Eric

Ok but the AFR hits around 10 way before the alky comes in and way before full throttle.

Are you not getting enough fuel? Yes you are. You're gettting TOO much. Do what Eric says. Turn one or the other down. What are the settings on your pac controller and alky control box? And where is your wideband 02 sensor mounted?

Alky is set to 6 and the O2 is in the 1-o-clock position about 8 inches past the bend out of the turbo.