What do you run for oil and psi

wickedmotorhead

SQWURLY
I changed my oil for the first time since I owned the car and decided on 10W30 Valvoline MaxLife since its a semi synthetic and I drive it almost everyday. I have been getting what appears to be only 5 psi hot at idle and about 30 psi at 2400 rpm. This seems low to me, but Im new to the game of these cars too. Just curious if this is normal. I'm full to full line on the dipstick. ???? Thanks again.

What was your oil pressure before? Oil weight will effect hi/low pressure slightly..5lbs. or so. Generally you need 10lbs. per 1000 RPM to ensure there's no harm to the engine. I prefer synthetics. The semi syn your using is fine.

I want to say that I was running 10 to 15 psi before, but I dont know what kind of oil was in it. Just kind of worried with that low of pressure.

Yeah your a little low at idle. I'd run that oil for about a 1000 miles and step up to 15w 50. The oil thats in there will be good a good flush for the engine. When you change it I would add a quart of Lucas Oil Treatment. You might wanna add it now and see if it helps. Don't worry about your engine though...I ran a big block chevy for years that had 0 pressure at idle for years.

I,ve run Chevron 20/50 since the car was new. changed oil and filter every 3-4k miles. When engine is warmed up-10 lbs. pressure at idle and 40 lbs. at cruise. Car has 180k miles and runs good.