What do you guys know about the aluminum spare/donut?

turbobuick1

I've searched the message board for info on this, and have only gathered that the aluminum donut came on "1LE"/"B4C" F-bodies, I'm not too sure what these RPO's stand for, though I haven't tried to look it up.

I'm a Buick guy, LOVE the TTA's, and I need a spare. I like the idea of a weight saving aluminum one.

My question is, what cars did these come on? Are they hard to come by? I'm going to the scrapyard this weekend, is there a slim chance I'll find one?

Any help on this is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Spare tires are out of style now. These days if you get a flat you just use a cell phone to call road side assistance.:biggrin:

I would not trust a 1989 spare tire ... I still have the factory spare in my GN I need to chunk it . The TTa spare is coming out and replaced with a nitrous bottle real soon.

I've searched the message board for info on this, and have only gathered that the aluminum donut came on "1LE"/"B4C" F-bodies, I'm not too sure what these RPO's stand for, though I haven't tried to look it up.

1LE is the 12" Brake and Suspension option for the 3rd gen Camarobirds. 1LE Brakes are on every 89 TTA.

B4C is the RPO code for the Camaro/Firebird Cop Cars.

I've only seen them on eBay so I don't know what other models used them. I do remember seeing a TSB on where dealers could order them from. IIRC any Goodyear dealer could order one as the rim was made by Motor Wheel Corp and Goodyear owns MotorWheel.

1LE is the 12" Brake and Suspension option for the 3rd gen Camarobirds. 1LE Brakes are on every 89 TTA.

B4C is the RPO code for the Camaro/Firebird Cop Cars.

I've only seen them on eBay so I don't know what other models used them. I do remember seeing a TSB on where dealers could order them from. IIRC any Goodyear dealer could order one as the rim was made by Motor Wheel Corp and Goodyear owns MotorWheel.

This is the best information I've seen yet regarding these wheels. Thanks Eric. I'll have to find that TSB and take a look at it.

The alum spare wheel, RPO code N64 came on most GTA's built between 1988 and 1992, including all 1989 models, along with many other Camaro's and Trans Am's built with rear disc brakes between those years. In fact 18,455 out of the 21,380 GTA's, which includes TTA's scince they are first and foremost a GTA, built between 1988 and 1992 carried the RPO code N64. It was the rear brakes, NOT the front brakes as so many assume, that was the issue with the older spare. The alum GTA/TTA spare wheel is a solid, not spoked, and painted black. Best way to find one if your not sure is with a magnet.

Hope that helps.

Are you sure?? My TTA did not have a solid spare wheel. It is a really light cast aluminum wheels with spokes.

Are you sure?? My TTA did not have a solid spare wheel. It is a really light cast aluminum wheels with spokes.

Yes I am positive, your TTA's original spare was replaced sometime in it's past. The 10 spoke bare alum spare is not the N64 spare wheel.

Yes I am positive, your TTA's original spare was replaced sometime in it's past. The 10 spoke bare alum spare is not the N64 spare wheel.

Here is a photo of the correct TTA spare

Attachments

• 4cc3_1.jpg
    4cc3_1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 4e20_1.jpg
    4e20_1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 114
Hi,
My car has the collapsible temporary spare we have been discussing. I immediately thought of using a magnet to identify it, and of course,it was proven when the magnet stuck! I don't know whether this is accurate,but I do admire the routine! Thanks for all the memories!