What did you use to attach your emblems?

robk46

Clear silicone, 3M double sided tape, black RTV? This is for the side and trunk emblems on an '86 GN. Happy new year!

But don't use a 3M tape from an office supply store! that will not hold up.

3M makes tape specifically for auto emblems & badges, should be able to get it from most professional auto paint & body supply stores.

But don't use a 3M tape from an office supply store! that will not hold up.

3M makes tape specifically for auto emblems & badges, should be able to get it from most professional auto paint & body supply stores.

VERY timely post!
Question. What about the emblem on the hood? (3.8 SFI Turbo)
The tape on the back will just show through the holes and it is too hard to trim around the holes and crevices.
Any ideas on this? :confused:

I have a pair of NOS hood emblems (GM # 25519633), and they come with adhesive tape already applied & trimmed; just peel off the wax-paper-like protector & stick them on.

Applying tape to an old, removed emblem looks impractical, even using narrow 0.25" 3M tape (# 06385 or 06386).

One possibility is to use 3M # 08061 ([FONT=Arial,Bold]Plastic and Emblem Adhesive), and squeeze out a narrow bead from the tube, onto the emblem backside. Data sheet PDF is attached. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Bold]But I've never used this stuff before, so I'd be very cautious applying it to visible paint ... maybe try a concealed location first.
[/FONT]

Attachments

• 3M Plastic & Emblem Adhesive 8061.pdf
    74.7 KB · Views: 249
Also attached is a 3M product list of their various tapes ... I keep a file of every useful or potentially useful material !

Attachments

• 3M Attachment Tape PRODUCT LIST.pdf
    34.5 KB · Views: 280
The emblem adhesive works good but it is kind of messy. 3M makes some nameplate repair tape that is thinner then the normal double sided tape. You can cut it out with an Exato knife. Time consuming but looks good when you are done. Here is a link to the nameplate tape Tapes for Automotive Trim Repair