What did you think about turbo buicks at first?

Thanks guys. I was feeling kind of down about my GN ‘til reading this thread (this explains another thread I started - http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/gnx-fortunate-547/272333-whats-so-special-about-gnxs.html ). My car has been out of action up for almost 2 years with a new engine build and now it's hibernating through winter. It should be kick a$$ as I was aiming for 700-750 hp. All I was able to do was a 20 min. shake-down cruise this fall.

Anyway – the first GN I rode in or even noticed was my wife’s cousin’s hot air GN. This was in late ’88. After that ride I went to a dealer and was told they don’t make them anymore – oh well too bad, so sad, and kind of put it out of my mind.

In ’89 we had our first kid and need a “family” type car. I didn’t consider a GN because, not having any experience with turbos, I thought the turbo would be problematic (my wife’s cousin had to replace his). I ended up with a Monte Carlo SS – pretty car but as gutless as can be.

Fast forward to ’93. Our MC has been stolen and we’re shopping for a new car. My wife and I are driving out of town to look at an Explorer (I know it’s a Ford, but I was trying to keep an open mind) and a GN went smokin’ by us. That was it, I told the wife “They are going to make Explorers forever, but Grand Nationals are just getting older.” Two weeks later I had a mint (14,000 mi) GN.

Fast forward to ’98. The GN’s been stolen. I looked locally for a replacement but there weren’t too many available and those that were around were pretty beat up. My wife then asked “What about those GNX’s?” A month later I had a 9,000 mile GNX. Unfortunately I blew a head gasket bring it home. This started me on a run-away train ride of “upgrades”, which is a whole other story.

1. what did you guys think when you saw the first turbo buick you saw?
2. first time saw one driving?
3. first time you drove one?
4. now how do you feel?

1. Thought it looked like a cool car with some potential, since I heard of people running in the 10's and 11's while still having a docile car. (I was used to Chevy V8's)

2. Probably when I test drove mine. Up until then I didn't know much about them and don't think I really ever saw one driving....well take that back...I saw one guy driving out of a parking lot at a car show...he didn't get on it or anything, but there was no "I'm a bad ass" sound to it like all the cammed V8 cars I was used to.

3. I thought "this has to be a joke". At 14 PSI it did get up and get out of it's way, but I thought "surely this can't be...my 396 Chevelle would have thrown your ass in the back seat by the time this thing even hit 7 PSI." But I bought it because I wanted one and decided to like it for what it was. It was later I learned some alky and an increase of boost fixed the otherwise pooch of a car I had.

4. Now I wished 2 things:

1. I would have waited to buy (bought mine Oct '07) as I now see a ton of TR's for sale cheaper than I paid for my car and just a little better.

2. I would have saved up all the $$ I pissed away the last 8 years of hot rodding in a can somewhere so i could go out and buy a 2nd TR.

I guess it was my V8 Regal my mom saw for sale that got me into cars I guess. We got it from the original owner in 95 I think it was with 26K on it. My dad drove it around for a while and then I got it in HS. Did some stuff to it and drove it for about 5yrs. Right after I turned 21 in 2004, I had enough saved up to put a downpayment on a GN/TR. I wound up with a '86 WH-1 T-Type I bought from Dennis Kirban (interesting experience). Drove that for 5 weeks until the trans went. New built trans w/ 2800 stall went in. I then sold said V8 car for $700, 153K with no rust, great shape. Then injectors, pump, and regulator were added to the WH-1 along with a few other things. Car ultimately ran 12.95@106 on bald Goodyears on a cold night that same year. I totalled it two after Christmas in the same year.:frown:

Three years later, I stumble across a '86 GN lightweight hiding in Trenton, NJ that had to be sold. Went up there with my boss and test drove it. Once the alcohol hit at 22psi sliding sideways through second, I knew I had to have it! Went back five days later with $9000 cash money and brought it back to Delaware. The trunk was full of parts and so was boss's truck. Car has been running great since and have done alot to it. It rides well, handles well, and runs fast! Achieved my first goal of running an 11-second pass on the stock turbo back in March. Plans as of now include WH-1's built trans and ProTorque 3200-3400 stall, ported irons, and a TE-44 or TE-61; whatever I can find. Some other stuff needs to be done, like front control arms and LS-1 front brake swap, with some 1LE springs. Ive got a ATR bar and airbags for it as well, along with a whole bunch of other stuff. I'ma have me a busy winter!:D Eventually I need to paint it too.