What causes just the #1 rod bearing to be smashed?

robk46

I notice a lot of GN folks nod knowingly when I tell them the reason I rebuilt my engine was because #1 rod bearing was hammered flat. What causes this? Detonation? Why just the #1 bearing and not the rest?:confused:

your injector in #1 cylinder may not flow correctly,I would send them to chuck leeper here on the board to be cleaned and flowed.I had a set of 72# injectors that flowed all over the place,from 76 to 81.Kind of hard to tune for that!I would have never known if not for having them cleaned and a flow test.:biggrin:

How about..

I notice a lot of GN folks nod knowingly when I tell them the reason I rebuilt my engine was because #1 rod bearing was hammered flat. What causes this? Detonation? Why just the #1 bearing and not the rest?:confused:

some pictures of the brg, the crank, etc.
What did the plug look like? What do the other 5 look like?

you have problems with the ignition system and seen that it is caused by an effect called the cross fire ignition in piston # 1 is triggered before dtc

The car ran great, except oil pressure was about 12psi hot. Made about 8 runs at the track, with no knock at 16psi on pump gas. Engine had 90k miles on it, but don't know if it was beat on before I got it.
We should have pulled the engine as soon as we bought it three years ago, but we really didn't have a clue about these cars then. It had 73k on it when we got it. . . The bearing was really squished, all the plugs were a nice tan color. The original injectors all flowed the same. . . I'll bet the car was beat on before we got it, and that bearing was ready to go. The first time we ran it at the track was probably the last straw for that bearing (the front cam bearing was pretty bad too). I was just curious what causes just that bearing to get smashed, but not the other rod bearings.

could be starving for oil, number 1 is the last one in the loop if memory serves
correctly!

Ron

could be starving for oil, number 1 is the last one in the loop if memory serves
correctly!

Ron

If that were the case the bearing would be spun not smashed.

I smashed a bearing at the track a few years back, the wastgate hose blew off and I saw 35 psi and a bit of knock :p

#1 bearing smashed

car was probably beat on before you got it and that cylinder was lean and seen alot of detonation..address these areas..fuel pump,injectors,fuel filter + lines,regulator,get fuel pressure gauge,scan tool,fuel injectors,ignition-wires-plugs,injector harness,air/fuel ratio,tps setting,,etc..I'm not saying to replace everything,but do a complete check and run a compression check also on that cylinder..If I missed anything,I'm sure someone else will chime in..The last time I killed a bearing was from too much detonation over a period of time..These cars are real sensative to detonation,so try to stay at a safe air/fuel ratio at all times when making power/boost..