what cam for 109 stroker?

The key word is "THAT" sensitive. Of course every engine is cam sensitive to a certain degree. Once your into performance cams in these engine the differences are minimal. Forced induction low reving engines don't require massive cams.. Proof is in the pudding. I ran 139.93mph with unported gn1's. non stroker in a 3600lb car with a little 210/210. If you plan on a combination street/strip car thier is no need for anything MUCH bigger just a rougher idle and more stress on the valvetrain.

So true, cams do not make night and day differences in these motors. If small hyd rollers can take guys into mid 9 sec ets, the only thing above that is a solid roller, and reving the piss outta it to extract every inch of power out of it. I would not loose sleep over a cam selection. I have tried tons of cams over the years with different combonations and the difference is not huge. The key is lots of tunning along with a great tranny/converter selection to put the power down with the least amount of slippage. Imagine how much faster Birds car would run if he weighed in at TSM weight with a little more boost.:eek: Not bad for a full weight street car with working AC.

Every engine is cam sensitive.

I have had excellent luck with the 215/220 camshaft. It's a great daily driver cam for a stroker (245/255 C.I.) good off idle torque and good street manners. It's not a "race" cam by any means but it will make plenty of power.

I just assembled a Stage 1 stroker with GN1r's/GN1 intake and that 215/220camshaft. It will have a 70 Q on it and we are thinking the turbo and 3" downpipe will cork it up before the cam will. just my.02 cents.

Kevin B,

Just curious, what turbo are you running? could you be choked up in the exh. housing? How about the torque converter? Is it slipping? Nonetheless 137 is flying, I bet that bigger cam will wake it up if you have the exh to let it breathe.

chasmat2316,

You cant go wrong with a 224/224 it works great. Keep it on a 110 to 112 L/S. If thats too big try 220/220. Somewhere in that range will be good for you. If you have Comp grind it for you make sure they use the Xtreeme energy lobe design not the magnum design.

My slippage is under control, changed out a few converters to get there. The turbo is a 70 with a .85 housing. I'll know if the cam works tomorrow. On the street, it feels good....just lost a little down low. After 4000 rpms, hold the f*** on:biggrin: :biggrin:

I was in the same postion with a stroker project . Contacted Dan at DLS and he suggested two roller grinds : 1) 214/214 for a car that going to see more street duty . and a 218/218 for something a little more on the race side and with a little less "street manners" . I decided on the 218/218 from him . :) engine will be up and running next season so I can not give you any actual run time info on the cam .

I was in the same postion with a stroker project . Contacted Dan at DLS and he suggested two roller grinds : 1) 214/214 for a car that going to see more street duty . and a 218/218 for something a little more on the race side and with a little less "street manners" . I decided on the 218/218 from him . :) engine will be up and running next season so I can not give you any actual run time info on the cam .

Both of those cams are great. I have used the 214-214 quite a few times. Palumbo used a 218 on his car.I ran a 224 on my 259 ci S2. Id love to try it on a
249 stroker.

Both of those cams are great. I have used the 214-214 quite a few times. Palumbo used a 218 on his car.I ran a 224 on my 259 ci S2. Id love to try it on a
249 stroker.

what's the 218/218 like on the street ? thanks .

My buddy Don drives his car on the street all of the time . He takes his wife to cars shows and functions in it. I have heard no complaints. This car went 9.92 @137 with a 1.4+ 60 ft with a PT67(stock 109 block , crank and rods, Iron heads)

My buddy Don drives his car on the street all of the time . He takes his wife to cars shows and functions in it. I have heard no complaints. This car went 9.92 @137 with a 1.4+ 60 ft with a PT67(stock 109 block , crank and rods, Iron heads)

good to hear . thanks for info . :)

Thanx for all the input guys! So do ya think I would be better off with a single pattern cam instead of the comp/kenny D grind I have now? 218-224 - 116lsa I'm kinda iffy about the wide lsa. Looking for all ideas.

The key word is "THAT" sensitive. Of course every engine is cam sensitive to a certain degree. Once your into performance cams in these engine the differences are minimal. Forced induction low reving engines don't require massive cams.. Proof is in the pudding. I ran 139.93mph with unported gn1's. non stroker in a 3600lb car with a little 210/210. If you plan on a combination street/strip car thier is no need for anything MUCH bigger just a rougher idle and more stress on the valvetrain.

Don't think you're the only fast 109 231 guy out there birdman;) I have a fast car too. I Just do it with a "big cam" and stock hand ported heads.;)

Don't think you're the only fast 109 231 guy out there birdman;) I have a fast car too. I Just do it with a "big cam" and stock hand ported heads.;)

Good for you Mr.Dom:rolleyes: I certainly don't think i am by any means the only fast 109 guy:confused: Plenty of guys running way faster than me. Maybe the car would p/u a little with a bigger cam but being a street car it just wouldn't be worth it. I have put together many stock block cars and have run many different cams. Thier is no substitute for real world experience and believe me i have paid my dues. Make sure you read and understand what you Quote. The key word once again is "THAT" sensitive! If cams made no difference at all we would all be running the stocker wouldn't we? chatsmat2316, was asking for some advice. I was offering him my hard earned experience. I think i am entitled to do so, don't you?