what cam for 109 stroker?

chasmat2316

What would be a good cam for a 109 stroker with 9-1cr, ported Gn1's, 70 Q-trim turbo ? I was thinking of using a 218-224 @ 50 roller with 116 lsa. It's an old Comp/Kenny D grind. Do ya think think it will be to lazy in a street car on the foot brake? If so what cam are most people using in strokers?

I have ported GN1's with an exhaust that flows very good. I also have a cam with more duration and lift on the exhaust than the intake (215/220). I really think this cam is killing me b/c of how good the exhaust flows. My setup has hit a brick wall. No matter what I change in the tune, it will not gain or lose power. I am by no means close to being an expert, but I think you might want to go with a cam that does not favor the exhaust as much, if your exhaust port flows good. Just my $.02.

What would be a good cam for a 109 stroker with 9-1cr, ported Gn1's, 70 Q-trim turbo ? I was thinking of using a 218-224 @ 50 roller with 116 lsa. It's an old Comp/Kenny D grind. Do ya think think it will be to lazy in a street car on the foot brake? If so what cam are most people using in strokers?

That cam will be prone to detonation over 20psi of boost with that compression. You need increase the duration at .050 on the intake and tighten up the lobe sep.

That cam will be prone to detonation over 20psi of boost with that compression. You need increase the duration at .050 on the intake and tighten up the lobe sep.

Ok thanx how much more duration? are you talking a reverse split pattern? and what kind of spec's?

I have ported GN1's with an exhaust that flows very good. I also have a cam with more duration and lift on the exhaust than the intake (215/220). I really think this cam is killing me b/c of how good the exhaust flows. My setup has hit a brick wall. No matter what I change in the tune, it will not gain or lose power. I am by no means close to being an expert, but I think you might want to go with a cam that does not favor the exhaust as much, if your exhaust port flows good. Just my $.02.

Kevin if you swap the cam what would you go with ? Thanx to all for any input!!!!

Hey Kevin,

My buddy has a similar sounding combo to u but we have not been to the track with his car yet, what times are u getting so far?

My best so far is 9.92 @ 137. I can not get over that 137 trap speed hump.

I am borrowing a 236/236 cam tomorrow. I'll see what happens. It's probably way too big, but you never know until you try it.

I am using a 226-226 cam with 113* lobe separation. It idles smooth at 800 rpm without any lope. Also, check out this video of the turbo spooling on the highway and this video of it spooling sitting still.

That is the same cam I am currently running in my 109 block with stock stroke and compression using a 70GTQ turbo. I have yet to fully see what the car is capable of (I hope). I have addressed some issues that held me back from running more boost(cracked header). But whether or not the car picks up remains to be seen. I hope it does but thats like putting the cart before the horse. The times in my sig where done at 25psi in a 3480 pound car without me in it (I am 190 pounds).
Billy is more knowledgable about cam selection then myself. Just giving you my experience with it thus far.

I am borrowing a 236/236 cam tomorrow. I'll see what happens. It's probably way too big, but you never know until you try it.

Any idea when you will be testing that new cam?

I am using a 226-226 cam with 113* lobe separation. It idles smooth at 800 rpm without any lope. Also, check out this video of the turbo spooling on the highway and this video of it spooling sitting still.

So you like that 226-226 cam? what do ya shift it at? Looks like my new combo will be close to yours. BTW I Love your Malibu! Very crafty!! I have a backhalfed 79' that I've owned since 87 & can't part with, but yours is da sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come down to Reynolds and I'll show you how to jump over that 137 mark.. :biggrin:

fwiw. i run a 210/210 hyd roller in the combo in my sig. those times were at 30psi and 22 degrees, 70 gtq, through the exhaust on unported 1st design gn1's. If i were to go stroker i would probably up the the cam a little but personally i think the power comes from boost and the tune. Thses engines are not that cam sensitive.

Turbo1dr, what RPM is that at when its 10 psi and 15psi?

This is foot on the floor holding the brakes from dead idle. The tires started to spin some at 13psi so that probably affected the higher rpm numbers. Also I still have to adjust the rich condition on spool-up. Its very rich at the upper boost numbers.

Boost RPM
15...........4150 mph showed 4 on data log
17.5........4500 mph showed 8 on data log

Right click and "Save Target As"
Data log

Thses engines are not that cam sensitive.

Every engine is cam sensitive.

I have had excellent luck with the 215/220 camshaft. It's a great daily driver cam for a stroker (245/255 C.I.) good off idle torque and good street manners. It's not a "race" cam by any means but it will make plenty of power.

I just assembled a Stage 1 stroker with GN1r's/GN1 intake and that 215/220camshaft. It will have a 70 Q on it and we are thinking the turbo and 3" downpipe will cork it up before the cam will. just my.02 cents.

Kevin B,

Just curious, what turbo are you running? could you be choked up in the exh. housing? How about the torque converter? Is it slipping? Nonetheless 137 is flying, I bet that bigger cam will wake it up if you have the exh to let it breathe.

chasmat2316,

You cant go wrong with a 224/224 it works great. Keep it on a 110 to 112 L/S. If thats too big try 220/220. Somewhere in that range will be good for you. If you have Comp grind it for you make sure they use the Xtreeme energy lobe design not the magnum design.

Every engine is cam sensitive.

I have had excellent luck with the 215/220 camshaft. It's a great daily driver cam for a stroker (245/255 C.I.) good off idle torque and good street manners. It's not a "race" cam by any means but it will make plenty of power.

I just assembled a Stage 1 stroker with GN1r's/GN1 intake and that 215/220camshaft. It will have a 70 Q on it and we are thinking the turbo and 3" downpipe will cork it up before the cam will. just my.02 cents.

Kevin B,

Just curious, what turbo are you running? could you be choked up in the exh. housing? How about the torque converter? Is it slipping? Nonetheless 137 is flying, I bet that bigger cam will wake it up if you have the exh to let it breathe.

chasmat2316,

You cant go wrong with a 224/224 it works great. Keep it on a 110 to 112 L/S. If thats too big try 220/220. Somewhere in that range will be good for you. If you have Comp grind it for you make sure they use the Xtreeme energy lobe design not the magnum design.

The key word is "THAT" sensitive. Of course every engine is cam sensitive to a certain degree. Once your into performance cams in these engine the differences are minimal. Forced induction low reving engines don't require massive cams.. Proof is in the pudding. I ran 139.93mph with unported gn1's. non stroker in a 3600lb car with a little 210/210. If you plan on a combination street/strip car thier is no need for anything MUCH bigger just a rougher idle and more stress on the valvetrain.