what are sighns of a bad catalytic converter

figga8n

Just pulled gn out over weekend been sitting for 3-4 years. Changed oil,plugs etc. All sensors are new no vacuum leaks etc. I had this problem before I parked after driving awhile when I get on the gas slowly car starts to putter (hesitate) but if I get on of hard it will go? Now it does this sooner like after a good blast. I'm leaning towards the cat because everything else has been changed. Any suggestions???

What's a catalytic converter?

Have you replaced the 02 sensor? If it is bad, it will cause the same symptoms that you have detailed. Once it gets hot (WOT) it may start to register correctly.

Injectors could be all gummed up after sitting that long.

Does the car have a new fuel pump or fuel filter?

Cats don't usually go bad sitting unless they are sitting a foot deep in salt water.

heated 02 sensor new also new injectors,twin pumps and filter. So the only thing I can assume is cat. Unless someone else had this same problem I know the cat is atleast 12 years old.

The car will have a hard time revving past 2500 RPMs if the cat's clogged. Also it would require you to spool the turbo up to get going at all because of all the back pressure.

The car will have a hard time revving past 2500 RPMs if the cat's clogged. Also it would require you to spool the turbo up to get going at all because of all the back pressure.

well that is sort of what it's doing once it's warmed because once I really step on it then it goes. Any other tips?

What injectors? It sounds more like a tip in stumble than a clogged cat.

When you say "twin Pumps" do you mean an in tank double pumper or did you put an external puller on your stock pump, because there is a night and day difference between these two set ups.

If the cat is old, and you think its bad, just get rid of it. Performance will be greatly increased even if that cat was good and there is zero wrong with it.

A bad cat will hurt performance from Idle up. It's not something that would be intermittent or go away.

What injectors? It sounds more like a tip in stumble than a clogged cat.

When you say "twin Pumps" do you mean an in tank double pumper or did you put an external puller on your stock pump, because there is a night and day difference between these two set ups.

If the cat is old, and you think its bad, just get rid of it. Performance will be greatly increased even if that cat was good and there is zero wrong with it.

A bad cat will hurt performance from Idle up. It's not something that would be intermittent or go away.

Yes they are twin pumps in the tank. I've changed every sensor on the car so this is my last guess. I'm not getting any codes so this is the only thing I can think of. Running 60 motrons injectors.

Here’s the list of things to check from the service manual for a hesitation, sag of stumble:
- Fuel pressure;
- Air leaks in air duct between MAF and TB;
- Fouled or faulty spark plugs;
- Out dated or bad PROM (chip);
- TPS binding or sticking – check voltage increases with the throttle position;
- Injector balance;
- Fuel quality;
- Generator output voltage (9-16) volts;
- Canister purge system improper operation;
- EGR operation;
- Improper spark plugs;
- Knock sensor or CCCI;
- Crank sensor (erratic scan rpm while driving indicates a faulty crank sensor signal (sensor or wire));
Hope this helps. You'll notice none of these items is a cat.

Well tps is fine fuel,plugs all good but now I'm thinking egr. Would a bad egr throw a code? Is there a way to bypass egr?

Well tps is fine fuel,plugs all good but now I'm thinking egr. Would a bad egr throw a code? Is there a way to bypass egr?
buy a chip from eric he disables the egr. also take off the cat you will be surprised of the difference the car will be

code 32 is the egr. I think you can stick your fingers under there push up on the plunger and see if it changes the idle. Do a search on here about the EGR trouble shooting and you'll get a ton of info.

I had the Cat go bad on my LT1 trans Am. She was running WAY too rich, and carbon would build up in the cat.

I had to romp on it every so often to blow it out, causing a massive black plume to blast out the exhaust. It was awesome. :D

Actually, now that I think about it, I doubt there was anything wrong with the cat. Car was just a POS.

The baffle was melted inside the converter on my GN. Car ran like crap, bad smell out of exhaust almost like rotten eggs, running way to rich. , wouldn't make over 10lbs of boost. Now that its fixed its running 18lbs of boost and runs like it should.

I had the Cat go bad on my LT1 trans Am. She was running WAY too rich, and carbon would build up in the cat.

I had to romp on it every so often to blow it out, causing a massive black plume to blast out the exhaust. It was awesome. :D

Actually, now that I think about it, I doubt there was anything wrong with the cat. Car was just a POS.

check this out . your story reminded of this

If that is an OEM Cat ,it probably needs to be replace regardless, Depending on your mileage on your car ,an if it is store in
climate control garage .Those factory Cat builds up corrosive an moisture if setting for long period of time .but your problem
sounds like and O2 sensor or and injector. If you don't have and Scanmaster that may be a good investment. Good Luck my
Buick Friend ....

Just a weird thought- what are the chances of a critter nest in the exhaust? Just a thought. Merry Christmas to all!

Just pulled gn out over weekend been sitting for 3-4 years. Changed oil,plugs etc. All sensors are new no vacuum leaks etc. I had this problem before I parked after driving awhile when I get on the gas slowly car starts to putter (hesitate) but if I get on of hard it will go? Now it does this sooner like after a good blast. I'm leaning towards the cat because everything else has been changed. Any suggestions???
Had 2 GNS that had a tip in stumble when I bought them. Both were cured with new injectors.