what afr to aim for with e85 and e98

xrcuta

hi all im new to this forum and have a few questions.

im running a 3800 series 2 stroked to 4.2 with w2a IC whipple running 22-25psi. on a gasoline meter should i be aiming for around 11.8AFR with e85 ?

ive also got some e98 stored and im assuming i should be aiming for the same afr on a gasoline meter as i would be with e85, 11.8afr.

any feedback would be great

thankyou

A chart..

Showing the AFR vs E content. The fine lines are not visible, but the values can be seen.
If I understand the ?, 11.8/25psi on gas, is a bit lean, imo. 11.8 on 98E is not close to safe.

Attachments

• ALKY RATIO CHART001.pdf
    9.9 KB · Views: 359
10.8 here nice and fat:biggrin: lots of power

isnt that a little on the fat side ? though on the other hand ive been told with ethanol power isnt effected when running a fat afr but only more torque is gained, which is a bonus and being more on the safe side is even better again ???

Showing the AFR vs E content. The fine lines are not visible, but the values can be seen.
If I understand the ?, 11.8/25psi on gas, is a bit lean, imo. 11.8 on 98E is not close to safe.

just remember those values are for stoichiometric...not making power

my impressions are when using a gas scale is you tune for the same

i on the other hand run xfi and can adjust the fuel energy content
gas being 1 and e-85 being 0.680

so with that being said.... and knowing i am scaled to read true e-85 afr's
i run i the 10's (afr) for mileage and in the 8's (afr) for power

-dan

tuning

ok,this is where guys who are trying to learn about E-85 ,like me ,get confused.
I`m sure each poster here understands what their numbers represent .For example one said 10.8 to 11.0 .But is that idle,cruise or wide open throttle?
One said 10.0 cruise to 8.0 wot.That is a HUGE difference in information from one poster to another?
I`m not comfortable using the wide ranges shown here and experimenting with my motor ,i`ve blown a few before on other cars without the proper octane and boost based on assumtion about the tune.
I`ve spoken to a few tuners who use this fuel on some very high horsepower cars who use basically the same afr #`s as gas to tune with.These cars run 27-30 lbs of boost and make 700-1,000 rwhp.They are more concerned about injector duty and enough injector ,size wise ,to fuel the volume needed with E-85.
I hope someone can explain for me the reason why the afr numbers are all over the place?

They are diferent because they are using two diferent scales. The guys using the leaner scale are using gasoline A/F's to tune their E85. Notherngn is reading a true air/fuel ratio

so using a regular wideband for afr`s ,innovative in my case,i should tune for 14.7 stoich ,idle and cruise ,and 11.3 for WOT ?Just like i would for 93 octane?

They are diferent because they are using two diferent scales. The guys using the leaner scale are using gasoline A/F's to tune their E85. Notherngn is reading a true air/fuel ratio

Thanks for clearing that up Cal, should have noted that in my 1st post.. Last year I ran a MAFTPro with the innovate WB and ran my WB A/F #'s close to the gasoline scale, but my car ran a little better fat at 10.8/11.0 at WOT. Were not saying set yours to this and crank the boost up and go. It takes time tuning and seeing what works with your set up. You can see everyone is close, it's a starting point. Good luck and work your way to that magic spot. E85 is some good stuff! I ran 30psi all summer with no knock....
Now we'll see what XFI can do this spring with E85:)