WG puck out of alignment - What to do?

zam70

->ROGUE
Put the new turbo on today and just for fun - I decided to check the puck alignment to the WG hole. There puck is off center enough that it leaves one sliver of an opening towards the back of the DP (T houston). I noticed this when I removed the old turbo. Just though I'd verify...the turbo was built with my old exhaust housing so I'm sure it has been like this all along.
The puck is plenty large to cover the hole, it's just off center.

Any ideas other than grinding out the down pipe mounting holes? It seems like the down pipe needs to be a hair further back on the turbo - 1/16" would do.
If I do need to open up the holes - what the hell will work good on stainless? I guess I could just drill the holes out a hair bigger...just not sure if there might be a better solution.

Thanks
Scott

May just be cheaper and easier to get another exhuast housing for the turbo. Most likely someone messed up when they milled the hole on the housing. Modding the downpipe may get you into alignment issues, plus if someday you swap the turbo.. you'll be back to square one. Fix the problem and not go around it.. even tho the cost may be an issue.. pay now or pay latter.

I have a spare precision .63 housing with a stock puck hole for a 51 turbo wheel. 50 bucks you can have it? But will need to get it fitted to your wheel.

HTH

I might take you up on that...
I think I might have found the problem and a solution...I'll post it if it works for future reference and searches.
We'll see.

you could take a good rattail file and elongate the bolt holes (4)on the DP elbow flange the 1/16 you need, which isn't much .just elongate the holes in the oppiste direction and angle you want the puck to move . if you take your time and do a nice job it will work well with no downsides . I had to do it on a stock turbo elbow and a PT52 . good luck

Kwikr1 - basically that's what I did.

First - I made a template of the down pipe flange and exhaust housing (basically a pencil rub) so I could see the exact alignment of the turbo and housing from the inside. Once I cut everything out and aligned the 2 templates together, I could see how things looked from the inside (what you can't see when everything is bolted up).

It appears the down pipe mounting holes are actually drilled out of alignment because everything was out of wack - not just the wastegate puck. The Dp flange was located to far forward making the flange & puck sit about 1/8"+ out of line.

I just drilled the flange mounting holes larger and this allowed everything to to move back and line up. After I do a final assembly, I'll tack weld some washers to locate the Flamge correctly.

This is a THDP, I wonder how many others are out there not lining up right...

Originally posted by zam70
Kwikr1 - basically that's what I did.

First - I made a template of the down pipe flange and exhaust housing (basically a pencil rub) so I could see the exact alignment of the turbo and housing from the inside. Once I cut everything out and aligned the 2 templates together, I could see how things looked from the inside (what you can't see when everything is bolted up).

It appears the down pipe mounting holes are actually drilled out of alignment because everything was out of wack - not just the wastegate puck. The Dp flange was located to far forward making the flange & puck sit about 1/8"+ out of line.

I just drilled the flange mounting holes larger and this allowed everything to to move back and line up. After I do a final assembly, I'll tack weld some washers to locate the Flamge correctly.

Cool idea to use a double template :) . good thinking I'll have to remember that one . :D :)