were they giong to steal my car?

413turbo

on thanksgiving day, around noon. with my daily driver truck parked a few doors down at my neighbors house. a black guy and a white guy (didn't look like people i would even want to know) in an old brown chevy truck knock on my door. guy looked shocked that i was home. asked me if the car was for sale, i tell him no. then he asks what year it is, i reply that it isn't for sale. he then says it looks like a grand national, is it? then he says nice car and turns and leaves. now, my car has the hood off, doesn't have rear bumper fillers, looks pretty sad right now really. for those that don't know me, my car has been stolen before and i'm poor- and do all my work under a 10x20 car cover. so, i live in a small neighborhood, and have never seen this truck before, and couldn't find it at anyone's house a few minutes later. it just seems to me that coming by on a holiday, when most people wouldn't be home, and all was strange. i can deal with talking to people at the gas station, but knocking on my door, come on' am i just being paranoid, or is this strange?

Hard to say. Alot of people will knock on doors to ask about a car especially if it looks like a basket case. I know I would because I'd think maybe I could get a great deal on it. Post a picture and we'll be able to tell you if it's worth stealing!! ;)

i had the same thin happen to me last month, my car usually sits in the driveway, i was on my way from ca to tx packing up the truck and this truck come buy some guys and a girl asking if it were for sale what is it and so on. made me paranoid so i too it and parked it on base. i'd be careful they my be casing you place to see what vehicles are around when you are home.

Can't be too careful. Times are getting tough so people will do pretty risky things to feed the family.

Next time ask him if he'd like his picture taken with the car. Tell him you have a collection of pictures of people who ask if it is for sale. Bet he declines.

WATCH YOUR CAR like a hawk! you might wake up to no car at all. once they see and want it they will do everything they can to take it! i had mine in front of my bay window with me sitting right there watching tv. i looked at it, went to the head to take a dump can back it was gone. less then 10 mins and they even had to push it because they fried something in the elet. syst. and couldn't get it to run(still don't know what they f'd up) only reason i got it back is the cops seen them pushing it down the street. they want it they will do evrything thy can to get it as i stated before.
good luck

Can't be too careful. Times are getting tough so people will do pretty risky things to feed the family.

Next time ask him if he'd like his picture taken with the car. Tell him you have a collection of pictures of people who ask if it is for sale. Bet he declines.

LOL, good idea:smile:

Had a similiar situation about 10 years ago, a buddy of mine and I were living a couple of doors down from each other. One night there is a knock on the door, thinking it was my friend I yelled come in. These two guys open the door and step halfway in and tried to ask if I needed my car washed. I say tried because my German Shepard had other plans for them. If it wasn't for those wood floors those two would have left with a limp at best.

They did the same at my friends, the next week we were both out of town and guess what? His house was broken into, and mine was not!

In this day and age it is at the least rude to show up unanounced! Much less go to a stranger's house and start asking questions about his car! If I had to leave it outside, I would leave it on blocks! At least slow'em down :mad:

tag

First thing i would have done is get the tag number of the truck. i'm bad about that if someone comes up here in the sticks.

I write down the plates of any car that even slows down next to my car.
And when they knock on the door the first thing I do is ask for a phone number to give to my friend because it is my "friend’s car" and I will give him the message.

BUT you do have allot of people that do knock on doors looking for deals I know this one guy that gets great deals on cars and other junk just knocking on doors.
I almost did it once this guy had a T-Top beat down Monte in his driveway but I couldn't bring my self to knock on the door, a week later the car was gone, it was scrapped I could have probable gotten it free or dirt cheap.

I would chain the car to the ground if there is any possibility of them stealing it when your not there.
Make them work at stealing it.

BW

If they knocked on the door, they probably weren't looking to steal the car. They were probably looking to rob your house. They just picked something out on the street that they could ask about, just in case someone answered the door. Thanksgiving is the most traveled Holiday. Where do those people travel to. They don't drive around the block and go back home. They leave their homes and go somewhere else. So, there are alot of empty homes on Thanksgiving. Or, they could have had genuine interest in buying your car, but it was a holiday, and if there was no "For Sale" sign on it, I doubt that was the case.

they didn't look like they had the money to buy shoes, only one drug dealer has offered me lots of cash for it.

i like the picture and phone number idea, i think i'll start doing that:cool:

oh, and that's what made it more the odd, i didn't see a tag on thier truck, and i've never seen that truck before anywhere around town.

they didn't look like they had the money to buy shoes, only one drug dealer has offered me lots of cash for it.

i like the picture and phone number idea, i think i'll start doing that:cool:

oh, and that's what made it more the odd, i didn't see a tag on thier truck, and i've never seen that truck before anywhere around town.

i would have called the cops right after i closed the door. i am fcked up like that.

i would have called the cops right after i closed the door. i am fcked up like that.

i wanted to, and thought about it, but what would i really say?? someone asked about my car? i know that would have pissed them off, they were busy with speed traps...

i wanted to, and thought about it, but what would i really say?? someone asked about my car? i know that would have pissed them off, they were busy with speed traps...

something like a "suspicious truck" with no plates knocking on doors "i think they could be looking to brake into some ones home and kill a few people.
in my town the cops get to the house before you get to hang up the phone.

anti theft

always answer your door with your gun in hand and a rag, pretend your cleaning it and in a non confrontational way ask them what they want, the subliminal message will be loud and clear :biggrin:

You guys crack me up with your anti theft tactics! If I see unfamilar faces hanging around I call the cops. I describe the guys and tell the cops that I'm tired of this happening and say I'm going to go out there and have it out with them myself! That speeds up the response time very nicely and gets more than one car responding.:biggrin:

I have alarms on all three of my cars, keep the regal locked in the garage and hope for the best. My lab doesn't help too much.... she barks if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction!

You need my Brothers idea he always parks his truck or other beater in front of the garage door where his 68 SS vert is and he has a magnetic deal on the truck door thats about 20x20 that says

Aj's assault rifle repair
Ammo, Parts, Service,
MOS 2120 Ret.
(xxx)444-4444 (his cell #) he even had the sherrifs office stop in and ask about it as a neighbor was concerned. They said no problem we will pass it on its a legit business ;)

I know I'm not ****ing around at a guys house who does automatic weapons repair