Went to one of the local "audio" stores...

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I asked them why my pioneer 6x9s sound like crap. I talked with the owner of the store and he said it is because I am not running an amp. I asked about the adaptors and he said it isn't because of them. I asked what they have for 4x10s and they said they stopped carrying them because he couldn't find anything he thought was suitable for selling, they don't sound good. So those of you that are running 6x9s, are you running an amp also? How old are your decks? Could my 5 year old deck be the problem? I had the same exact deck in my 90 grand am and it sounded great. We should start a poll on stock vs. aftermarket deck and 4x10s vs. 6x9s, I think it would be interesting to "hear" the results.

I've owned 8 different G-bodies in the last 17 years and I've played around with numerous different combinations of head units, amps and speakers. I'm not an "audiophile" and I'm not into high-dollar huge systems. I just like a good, full sound with adequate bass and clear mids and highs. I never sink tons of money into the systems, but you do have to spend *some* money to get decent hardware. You also need to shop around and listen to different speakers and amps and see what suits your taste. Based on my experiences, you really can't get a good sounding 4x10, especially now since the selection is almost non-existant. I gave up on 4x10's in the 90's and have run various 6x9's with the hard plastic adapters (Metra) ever since.

So far the best system I've come up with was a Pioneer DIN-1/2 head unit (can't remember the model) with a two-channel, 100W Pioneer amp driving Infinity Kappa 6x9's in the rear deck, and a "pre-owned" Infinity Bass-Link powered subwoofer in the trunk. The front speakers are Infinity Kappa 3-1/2" in the dash and stock size Infinity Kappa's in the doors. The dash and door speakers are running directly off the head unit. I actually recently swapped out the Bass-Link for a Bazooka bass tube, but I like the Bass-Link better.

One thing I did figure out, the part of my trunk kit that goes behind the rear seat was killing the sound of the 6x9's. Although it doesn't look as nice, I removed that part of the trunk kit which allows the rear deck speakers (6x9's) to use the whole trunk as a speaker box - sounds much better.

HTH

If you're gonna run an amp, forget about rears. Well, assuming you fit some 5.25"s in the doors. Then just get a 10" sub to fill in the bass. Or do what I did and hack everything up till you get some 6.5"s to fit in the doors.

I don't really want subs, thieves like that stuff around here. My car did not come with concert sound and I don't want to cut my door panels. Just looking to get a little better sound. The owner at the audio place told me I should go with boston acoustic 6x9s, run an amp, leave in my stock dash speakers and put bass blockers on them and just hook them up to my deck. He said as far as decks go if it works leave it in there. He seemed to be truthfull by telling me I would be wasting money on a new deck and dash speakers. He said if I was to come across some concernt sound panels that door speakers would help tremendously. But either way he said at least do good 6x9s and an amp, even just an amp hooked up to my old pioneer 6x9s would be a vast improvement.

that does sound like reasonable advice. But I can say this, a decent aftermarket head unit can make a big difference too. A decent brand and model will have more power and have better signal/sound processing circuitry. The bass-blockers are definately a good idea on the dash speakers. The Infinity Kappa's come with them. And FWIW, the Infinity Bass-Link and Bazooka Bass-Tubes are not very big. That's why I like them. Very compact and good for "rounding-out" the sound without creating too much bass. That's just my opinion though. :cool:

Grab an amp off ebay with crossovers built in. I put a 4-way Kenwood amp in my wife's car and I run 6 speakers off it (fronts are tied together out of phase). Here is one very similar to it. Look how cheap! Kenwood 4 channel amp - (eBay item 260175534216 end time Nov-02-07 13:42:02 PDT) You can download owners manuals off Kenwood's website too.

You really need front 5.25s or 6.5s to get much good sound. Since you don't want to cut your door panels, something like this would fit the bill: : Gallery Those were made by Audiowizard though he hasn't posted on the board in a few years.

I know more low-cost places to get wires, etc. I would recommend an 8" JL Audio Sub though. It just fills out the sound and you probably won't be thumping bass anyhow. Again, those can be found on ebay too regularly.

You could also go with the Q-Logic q-form kick panels. They hold up to a 6" speaker. I would have went with those if I knew I could definitely 6.5s in them.

You could also go with the Q-Logic q-form kick panels. They hold up to a 6" speaker. I would have went with those if I knew I could definitely 6.5s in them.

They actually make some that hold 6.5's however you have to relocate the ECM and bend the E brake pedal. Also they are cheap hollow plastic which means you are going to have to put dynomat or something on the inside of them so they will carry the sound without vibrating.

I've been told those aren't worth the money and to spend money on concert sound panels and associated hardware if I was to go that route.

I've been told those aren't worth the money and to spend money on concert sound panels and associated hardware if I was to go that route.

My 87 dark red TR doesn't have concert sound. I saw some nice red door panels cheap at a car show and bought them. Took them home and removed my door panels. I found that there were no cut outs in the doors for the speakers:eek: So just buying the door panels won't be good enough. I didn't want to cut up the car so I still don't have concert sound.

I envy those with concert sound. Welcome to the world of the 80's GM sound system. Every car but those with the fancy pants BOSE system, got a crap sound system, and even then the BOSE was kind of crappy. You literally have to try different things and listen to systems that people already have to find something that suits you, cause its not particularly easy to get good sound from these cars without changing some things up.

I custom fit some 6.5's into my concert sound doors. Had to do some custom cutting with a razor blade and had to make some wood brackets that I covered with black carpet. Helps that the speakers have a shallow mounting depth due to having neodynium magnets though.

The q-forms are far superior to the door panel for a speaker location. The only caveat is that they are limited to speaker size. But, they place the drivers in a much better location for imaging. True they can only hold a 6" driver, but even if you have concert sound, you still have to find a place for the tweeter. The door is not a good place for it.
Yeah the q-forms are thin plastic, but some added dynamat is a quick fix. I have had mine for years, with Infinity Kappa separates drivers in them, and have had many compliments, even from install shops on the sound quality.
I would say even if you do have concert sound, the q-form is a better alternative. On-axis frequency response rules! But if you really want to get some kicking sound up front, use the q-forms for your mids and tweeters, then put some 6.5" midbass-only drivers (crossed over) in the concert sound door pods. You wouldn't even have a need for 6x9s in the rear at all, and all your midbass would be up front, giving you a really nice soundstage.

That said, at least the guy at the audio place seemed like he was trying to offer you some good advice. Theres a lot of places that will feed you nonsense just to get the sale.

The q-forms are far superior to the door panel for a speaker location. The only caveat is that they are limited to speaker size. But, they place the drivers in a much better location for imaging. True they can only hold a 6" driver, but even if you have concert sound, you still have to find a place for the tweeter. The door is not a good place for it.
Yeah the q-forms are thin plastic, but some added dynamat is a quick fix. I have had mine for years, with Infinity Kappa separates drivers in them, and have had many compliments, even from install shops on the sound quality.
I would say even if you do have concert sound, the q-form is a better alternative. On-axis frequency response rules! But if you really want to get some kicking sound up front, use the q-forms for your mids and tweeters, then put some 6.5" midbass-only drivers (crossed over) in the concert sound door pods. You wouldn't even have a need for 6x9s in the rear at all, and all your midbass would be up front, giving you a really nice soundstage.

That said, at least the guy at the audio place seemed like he was trying to offer you some good advice. Theres a lot of places that will feed you nonsense just to get the sale.

I have Q-Forms in my Camry. Boston Acoustics 3 way components: 6.5" woofer in the door, 3.5" woofer and 1" tweeter in the Q-Form.

I was pretty sad when I found out I couldn't fit those into the Buick but I ended up getting a great deal on the 6.5" Polk SRs. Due to the fact I knew the Q-Forms couldn't fit a 6.5" speaker, I decided to go ahead and cut up my lower door panels since worst come to worst I could just spend about $100 replacing them. I have the tweeter mounted on the woofer, or "compaxial" as Polk calls it. I had the Polk/MOMO 5.25" components before with the woofer in the door and the tweeters on the dash but I found that bouncing the tweeters off the glass made them too harsh. The one complaint I have now is that I don't get good imaging from the woofer on the driver's side since it sits right next to my ankle. Hell, I can barely hear it unless I cover up my right ear.

I have Q-Forms in my Camry. Boston Acoustics 3 way components: 6.5" woofer in the door, 3.5" woofer and 1" tweeter in the Q-Form.

I bet that setup sounds pretty good! Thats kinda what I had in mind for my PT Cruiser, since it has 6.5s in the door. The only problem is that its a 5 speed, so the q-forms wont work with the clutch pedal in the way. So, I'm still trying to figure out how I want to set it up. I may have to just live with a 6.5 in the door and a coax set of 3.5s in the dash due to lack of room.

Boston makes some nice stuff. I had their 3.5s in my dash of the Regal starting out, and was extremely impressed with the sound out of such a small little speaker. I've saved them, they may just end up in the dash of the PT.