Well I lost my job yesterday...

blackbuick87

The crappy economy hit home for me last evening, at 4:30 my boss took me into his office and gave me two weeks severence.

Last year we lost money at my office for the first time ever, and I would say 95% of it was due to the impending war and the economy. Nat acct business is off 35% and military business is off 25%. WTF AM I SUPPOSED TO DO ABOUT THAT??

The thing is they should have canned my boss since he has control of sales and hauling, and I only do hauling, which was only down 10% last year BTW. But he sucks the owners d*** so much I guess it paid off for him.

Oh well, I didnt care for the job too much anyways, but I had been there 10 years and made a lot of friends. Thats the only crappy part.

I guess my wife and I will have to hold off on having another child for a while, also:mad:

Anyone looking for an unemployed TR guy with just enough knowledge to do a LOT of damage?:D

sorry Bob

Wanna move to Kansas? All we have are good people and Turbo Regals!;) Not much else,,,keep your head up:)

I feel for you man! I too have been laid off.. 4 times in the last 18 months.. In the telecomm/computer arena.. Though I am currently employed I always worry..

WHEN IN DOUBT DO A BURN OUT! That always helps me..

This may be the best thing they could have done to you. Why not start your own hauling business with money you have saved over the years. With 10 years experience you certainly know how the business works. That way you can controll your situation a whole lot more. Just be prepaired to work a crap load of hours.

Now they may have created a new competitor that will impact their business even more. Don't pass blame, do something about it. :)

Joe

Originally posted by blackbuick87
WTF AM I SUPPOSED TO DO ABOUT THAT??

Sorry to hear that, blackbuick87. :(

Lots of stress involved when the furure is uncertain. Odd jobs, and looking for work should help to keep you occupied. Stay busy!

It looks great on a resume' if you take a less desireable job instead of collecting unemployment comp.

Good luck with the job search. ;)

Re: Re: Well I lost my job yesterday...

Originally posted by GNX Guy
This may be the best thing they could have done to you. Why not start your own hauling business with money you have saved over the years. With 10 years experience you certainly know how the business works. That way you can controll your situation a whole lot more. Just be prepaired to work a crap load of hours.

Now they may have created a new competitor that will impact their business even more. Don't pass blame, do something about it. :)

Joe

Sager words were never spoken.
Life just handed you an opportunity.
Maybe you and some of the guys from your former employer[your friends] can start your own haulage company?
Shouldn't be too tough for guys with your experience.:)

Sometimes life kicks you in the a$$ to get you to move on to better things. It's happened to me before and I always ended up with a better job that I would have left the last one for anyway--but I wasn't looking to find it. Stay level headed and don't panic. Joe has some great advice there. Try to turn this into some sort of opportunity.

BTW, don't worry about your old boss. It does eventually come around. Last time this happened to me, my boss and *his* boss both got canned and almost in legal trouble for fraud. I was GLAD to be gone, since I knew they were crooked. So even if your boss sucks up, that guy may be out as well. Not your problem now. ;)

Thanks for the support.
Ever work in the trucking industry? It sucks. You are always looking forward in time, looking for that next load. You never have time to be satisfied with a good load, because the truck is empty before you know it. It makes time and years go by VERY fast. I didnt plan on staying in it much longer, but they laid me off before I could quit on my terms:mad:

I think I will look into something where I can get outdoors and move around. Been stuck in an office for ten years, time for a change.

I agree that it will probably turn out to be a blessing, but it will take a couple weeks to get over the shock. Hell I only had one vacation a week long (honeymoon) in ten years, so it will be wierd after the first few days.

Bad thing is we will have to hold off on having a second child, good news is I get to spend more time with my 2 yr old daughter:cool:

Thx

Well, I work in the trucking industry. A Union Carrier, ABF Freightways, Operations MGR and they do consume a vast majority of your time.

So, take the time to be with your daughter and be a DAD for a couple of weeks, I know I wished I had more time with my twin boys, they are 4 now and I swear they were just born a couple of months ago.

God Bless

Butch

Bob, if you need any help polishing your resume, I have tons of HR experience and will be glad to give you some tips and hints. Just let me know.

Hang in there, brother!;)

My friend works for Conway Central Xpress and I told him about reading about you losing your job. He is a terminal manager and he told me that you should check out them for a job, since you have 10 yrs. experience. They pay pretty good.
Good Luck
Tarey D.

Fed Ex Ground treats their people very well and the pay is pretty good too. Tons of benefits and good people to work with. Give them a look anyway. Keep your head up and foot on the loud pedal...just think, soon it will be summer and time for that TR get together up there. Good luck bud!