Well,...I did it,...Experts please?!?!?

Greyling

I am utterly exhausted,...but I made it. I flew to New Jerey Thursday and bought an 87 GN!!!

Departed the Jersey Turnpike at 9ish P.M.
I made it back to Denver this morning (Saturday) at 10:15. (In my house) Don't say BS,.... I'm going on 28 hours no sleep.

I love the car. It only has 31,...well,....33 thousand miles on it now.
Inside is almost perfect. Engine is clean. The VIN check I did on the car only showed that he had put two thousand miles on it. It all added up.

Like I said,,...I love the car and The trip back was awesome,....however I am scratching my head over a few things I'mm hoping the Sr. members on the board might have a clue with.

The trip was awesome. One thing I noticed though,... very lumy,..bumpy ride. (Correct me if I'm being a tard) It almost felt like the tranny. And,...midway back,.... in a West. Va. gas station lot,..... when I backed up in Rev. it almost acted like a Jeep with 4 wheel drive on while trying to turn too tight.
:confused: Is this normal?????????????

(BTW,...I checked all fluids on every pit stop,..all was good)
I'm sorry this is sooo long,...but there is even more,.... and more.....

Closer to Denver,....higher I got, the wierder the shifting got. Is the car trying to learn a new altitude??? I read somewhere about locking the torque converter??? (Again,....tell me if I'm wrong,...I just wanna find out what's wrong with the car) I dunno,..it was a while ago in a post on here.

Last light I caught on the way to my drive,...the car did some funky wierd shift after ten MPH when I had it floored trying to make it go then suddenly it down shifted again and the tires broke free around a corner!!! Super delay is what it was like. DO these cars have a "learning ECU" ????

And more,..... Before I even flew out,... The ONLY mods the guy said were on the car were the following:
Chrome pipe cause it looked nice. No exhaust,...still has air box etc.

And INJECTORS,....... I asked why the injectors and he said the originals fould up so the first owner replaced them with the current model. AND,..these would flow more.

Well,...along with the tranny,.... as the car got higher the mtor ran rougher. It's in the garage right now cooling off. But could the larger injectors cause all these probs??? With the lack of air AND more fuel????

Please help me!?!?
:( :(

This is my second (first was in like the 9th grade and I didn't know jack **** about it then) automatic transmission and I haven't a clue as to where to even begin. Last thing I imagined was running into trouble with the car immediately. ****,...I never even went past 80MPH on the drive back!!!

Any one in the area???? Give a sucker a clue??? I'll buy beer and pizza for a week!!!!:eek: Injectors,....tranny,...altitude,.... dunno...... I'm gonna go check the plugs to see if they are fouled up and if so up the boost. No I don't have an adjustable regulator. Right now it peaks at 15 in first,...then a bit lower and lower as the gears shift. :(

BTW,....the injectors it has,..I can read the following,...
Tomco Inc. Rotary disc

There is also a number 24 stamped on them. Green bottom stripe and a blue cap. :confused: :confused:

HELP??

Ken Mosher is in your area. He can hook you up w/ a diagnostic tool.. TURBOLINK!! He also has a turbo car, and has absolutely nothing else to do w/ his time, than play w/ turbo BUICKS!!!!:D :D

Think he'd be up for the pizza beer thing?

Thanks for the heads up,...I'll try to find his e-mail and PM him,....

I swear,....after searching and reading about other probs folks were having with the Torque converters,...I'm thinking mine has **** the bed from the syptoms :(

Sent him an e-mail. =\ Thanks for the dropped name. :) (Course,....he'll wanna kick your ass after me begging his help in a PM)

The car still drived fine and runs fine,.... well not fine,.... very rough actually. Sounds like it's missing a couple.

And it suddenly starts shifting at 20 MPH out of first instead of giving me a good pull.

WTF over?!?!?

Altitude can't wreak that much havok on ****,.... Fo Shizzle somthin' broke.

Sounds a lot like a sticking TCC solenoid, except for the rough run. Hard to say from here. Like the ole fart said, look up Ken to see ifhe has some time to help you out.

About the 'Jeep' feeling.. Its the posi rear that needs additive. The clutches in the rear were sticking lil. No big deal. Happens a lot.

Running rough - start with the basics, check the plugs, air filter, change the fuel filter. Might even be bad plug wires. Try opening the hood at night and see if you have a "corona" effect under the hood. Might be as simple as that.

Tranny does sound like a TCC solenoid. Easy cheap fix and might as well change the trans filter while you are in there.

Like Frank said about the rear additive, sounds like that is the problem there. After adding the additive find a parking lot and do some figure eights to work it into the posi clutches. (assuming you do have posi)

Sounds like everyone covered most of your problems with good replies. As to the rough idle, etc., I would try to find out what injectors were installed in the car and make certain the chip was also changed to work with them. If the injectors are larger than 30lb/hr, you will need a chip burnt for the larger squirters.

I definately recommened doing a full tune-up on the car. Be sure your IAC is clean as well. This will also clear up any possible idle surging. I would also flush out the intercooler.

Find out what injectors you have they might not match your chip. Could be part of the problem? I would do a nice spring cleaning to her too. You can find that at gnttype.org tons of info there as well.

Nick

Drive to Pueblo tomorrow (sunday)

The Denver Buick club is having their annual function at the drag strip on the far west side of Pueblo (a good time to be there is anytime between 9AM and 2PM).

Ask for directions when you get to town, everybody knows where the complex is located.

Buick racers/experts from five states will be there....No problem getting expert advice there tomorrow. The Buicks will be easy to spot. :)

Disconnect power to the ECM before you leave town to reset the "learned" data in the memory. You do that with the orange electrical connector near the battery. If you can't find it, just disconnect the battery terminal for a moment and hook it back up. Prolly not going to change anything, but the data in your computer on arrival in Pueblo will be current (assuming somebody will hook up a scan tool).

I'll be there later in the day. I'll bring Turbolink in case I see you.

Ask for Lee, I'm the old bearded guy with a limp ;) I'll be somewhere close to Strube Performance's long red racing trailer -with a couple big block buick race cars (red and blue) parked around it. :)

Do a search on "Spring Cleaning", then, do what it says :)

good answers guys, i think everyone got em-

TCC, sounds like the torque convertor is locking up when you drive it in the city, thats why you feel the weird shifts-

as for the jeep thing, it could be a broken trans mount or if the car has a drive shaft loop, then that could be the noise you are hearing-
or as FlyinGN said, posi additive could be it-

glad it made the full trip-

what was your MPG?

i live in kansas city, you probably drove I-70 right past my area if you went through Kc

BW

I did drive right down I-70!

:eek: :eek: That is the MOST horrible stretch of road I have EVER been on,... as far as the deer go that is. I must have seen 20 carcasses on the road,...I was even right behind a tractor trailer who hit one and I barely managed to miss what was left,..
I did run over a fairly large hunk of something with the passenger wheel and it got blood everywhere. I went through the State between,...I dunno,... 10:00PM and 5:00 AM ???

I know I need to clean it up,... but I just got up from resting,.. ended up driving about 25 hours straight through,... before a wash though I went out to buy "supplies" to get the thing tuned up tomorrow.

My MPG,.... seems I was was getting around 220 miles or so with a little over a 1/4 tank left in it. I pretty much set myself at that mark for refuels with the remaining fuel as a reserve.

Sound about right? Nothing like the 34 MPG that my other car gets...

:(

And one more thing

Get a scanmaster definitely
Save you some more time and trouble hopefully
Good luck
Steve chambers