Welding Springs on intercooler pipes

NJTurbo

Simply The Best
I know guy's running 30 plus pounds are welding or making brackets from the intercooler pipe to the intercooler. Reason, you will never blow off a Intercooler pipe. This is common issue with high boost applications. The lower pipe on the pass side and d/s side likes to blow off.

I am looking for members that have done this, pictures would be great. THX:cool:

Have you tried cleaning everything, and using hair spray? Helps alot! I know a guy in VA working on something on his eight sec. car. Allen Witter. Do you know him, or his name on this board? He was blowing parts off in the burnout box.

Somebody give this man a PIC!

Also, I like to use Shoe-Goo to hold on vac. lines. The glue works great with rubber and silicone. Most other glues will crack the lines. And of course, zip-ties.

hmmm

I was talking to Joe L and they do use what I am talking about:confused:

Just wanted to get a picture so I have a idea:eek: :cool:

I see springs and tabs to mount in summit and jeggs catalogues. Look in the exaust section. Tabs to weld and springs to hold together without worries. Cheap.

Travis,
There are many ways to accomplish your plans. I have seen the same basic operation done by welding studs on both sides of the pipes and pulling springs across both studs.There would be 2 studs perside 180 from each other.

The old Metco car had flat stock tabs on both pipes and a basic strap made of flat alum stock with small bolts and nylock nuts holding it together. The last is the one thats on the above website. Purty fancy and im sure the price of all those heim joints, round alum stock will be alot more.

Sorry to post a little off topic, but I am not getting any subscription E-mails. Server problems??

Travis all you need to do is barb the ends of the pipe. Run a bead of weld around the pipe to keep it from pulling through the clamp.

Or use a bead roller instead of welding. I've done about six ends with a 1/4" bead die (Jack's 3" pipes fit the CAS V2 intercooler if you cut about 4" out of the vertical section of the uppipe about even with the top of the core support; cut, bead ends, use 3" piece of 3" ID silicone hose, and voila, 3" pipes without dealing with CAS). As for springs, remember that with 25 psi boost in a 3" pipe there is 175 lbs of force trying to pull the pipe out of the hose. That takes some beefy springs to resist!

The product I saw in Jeggs or summit has two tabs that weld on pipes, each tab looks like an arch kind of. Then you use a BOLT and lock nut to secure the two pipes thru the arches. It will probably work great for I/C pipes. Put two on per connection. They were around $7 for two tabs and hardware. I guess springs would be too loose? I see many Import turbo exaust systems held together by Slip joints and springs. That should be at least the same pressure and then add some heat. Maybe springs would work.

Originally posted by turbo2nr
The product I saw in Jeggs or summit has two tabs that weld on pipes, each tab looks like an arch kind of. Then you use a BOLT and lock nut to secure the two pipes thru the arches. It will probably work great for I/C pipes. Put two on per connection. They were around $7 for two tabs and hardware. I guess springs would be too loose? I see many Import turbo exaust systems held together by Slip joints and springs. That should be at least the same pressure and then add some heat. Maybe springs would work.

Got a link:eek:

Great ideas guys, I saw a few things similar to what you guys are talking about in BG. At $250.00 a pipe, I am not loosing one.

Also yes check the lounge, now e-mail issue:(

springs

I just finnished a car where we put springs on the pipes for the same reason. Just welded on a tab on the intercooler and a tab on the pipe and then got a couple of springs at the hardware store that were beefy and close in length, then cut them down. Worled great. I can send you a completed pic as soon as we get the car back together, it hurt a bearing. :rolleyes:

Pat

Re: springs

Originally posted by QKRNYRS
I just finnished a car where we put springs on the pipes for the same reason. Just welded on a tab on the intercooler and a tab on the pipe and then got a couple of springs at the hardware store that were beefy and close in length, then cut them down. Worled great. I can send you a completed pic as soon as we get the car back together, it hurt a bearing. :rolleyes:

Pat

Pat

Please do and thanks for the information:cool: