Weird Fast Problem

CSJTA

Having a weird problem happening, here go's. Car idling, laptop connected, editing any table, car will start to run bad just for a second or two, then I will loose connection, will pop up on the screen sync lost. Seems like it is getting worse, like it is happening more and more. Sometimes it will say this program has performed an illegal operation, and Windows will shut it down all together. Laptop is a bare bones IBM Thinkpad, Windows 95 is the only thing on the laptop, pentium 133, 48 megs ram, 800 gig hd, version 1.0 of the FAST Software. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

I am having the same problem. You need to look at your cells after this happens. I am seeing 16's in cells when this happens. It acts like the ecu can't take the change or the software shuts down while it is sending the info.

It could be a coincedance, but I also have an IBM thinkpad with about the same size, but with win98. The cells going lean is a BIG problem. It is not always the cell that I am working in.

I was hoping for some of the more experienced users to respond, but I am wondering just how many use the windows software.

Exactly what version of the software are you running? Look in Help/About and it will tell you the version number. Current version is 1.005.

I don't know if changing versions will necessarily cure a problem like this. I haven't seen this type of instability problem with any version of C-ComWP. But it's always a good idea to be running the latest version.

Craig, the disk I have here in front of me is version 1.0, copyright 2001. Is this the latest, or am I behind time. Thanks for the help.

Just looked on my PC here, it is version 1.005, so I guess that's the latest version.

i think the problem may be in the serial port drivers, try getting newer drivers, and make sure they arent conflicting with anything?

I am wondering if maybe we need more computer for the windows version. We have the same computer and we are both having the same problem. I have also lost connection while I was making changes. I want to use the windows version but have no other choice now but to use the dos. Where would I check for better drivers for the serial port??

any new info on this? this is happening to me, i cant datalog anything it just stops and says "lost sync"

I have a Thinkpad that also does this.

Almost seems like the computer is trying to talk so fast that the ECM can't run the engine and communicate at the same time.

Happens to me when I datalog or change large blocks of a table at once. Sometimes the engine will keep running, sometimes the engine stalls out.

I have never had this problem with other types of laptops- only a Thinkpad (and it's happened on 2 different Thinkpads).

-Bob Cunningham

THUNKPAD!

we had bunches of this same stuff w/ the diagnostic programs we used on the lift truck engines and electronics on others.. We had to ditch the IBM's and got Compaq's and had no further problems.. IBM said it was due to user re-loading op system and some such other crap.. they found out the hard way.. we turned in nearly 100 of them and got the Compaqs...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

my laptop is an old compaq with a pII 266. when i was using the dos version, it would also freeze up, i would have to exit and restart the software. when i first started using the windows software, it wasnt that bad, but now only every 10th time or so will it actually datalog for a few seconds then freeze, instead of instantly.

Guys, I have an IBM 133 that I loaded one of the first windows versions on almost two yrs ago. I never could get it to work right so I installed the dos version. I have tried to use the windows version because windows is what I am used to. The data log is much easier. But I have had problems the program running slow, it shutting down while I was changing the VE table and then when I would drive the car it would buck like a wild bronco. I would close the windows version start the dos and find that some of my VE setting were at 16, hence the wild bronco act. My "floating light" when running in the VE table moves slow and is jerky.

I don't think it is the software because too many of us are having the same problem with the IBM thinkpad. I think we just need to invest in a faster computer. I have been looking at 500mhz on ebay but sure would like to use that 400-500 for something else.

We've been working on that problem. It seems to occur with certain combinations of PCs, operating systems, and even system settings. It's been difficult for us to reliably reproduce the problem. What appears to be happening is that there is some kind of buffer overrun in the serial driver causing malformed packets to be sent to the ECU. It may happen most often when the key repeat feature of a certain PCs is used to manipulate data rapidly. Version 1.005 attempts to send each change (from the repeated key press) to the ECU immediately. We're working on a new version where changes are accumulated in C-Com with the resultant modifications only being sent after the key has been released. This should resolve the overrun issue. If you are having a chronic and repeatable problem with this, email me and I'll let a few of you try a newer version we're working on.

On the other hand, if your problem is pretty much only timeout errors when reading calibration or sensor data from the ECU, it's likely a speed issue with your PC or its internal hardware.

With DOS, everything was straightforward and predictable because we had direct access to the hardware. But with Windows, the serial interface is managed almost entirely by Windows and the communication path isn't as direct to the ECU. Communication is also subject to resource management by Windows. The same is true for the graphics display. C-ComWP will always perform best with higher horsepower PCs. ;)

Lance," buffer overruns", "malformed packets", you must stop snorting that nitrous:D

You sent me the nitrous enable file, a fan enable file and a copy of a beta WP last week. Is this the WP you are talking about?

By the way thanks for sending the files to me!!

Ricky, The version of C-ComWP I sent you was the latest. Please email me and let me know how it's working for you. Thanks.

Lance

Hey guys,

The IBM Thinkpad computer ( windows 95 ) was definately the problem with my system. We had the same problems with the laptop freezing up while trying to implement overlays and adjusting VE's on a day at the Dyno.

The fella running the dyno got absolutey frustrated using my computer. Threw up his hands, went and installed my program on his laptop ..... VOILA ... worked like a charm.

I have installed my program on my new DELL LATITUDE using XP
Works like a charm now.

Thought I'd throw in my experience

Lance ..... Ccom version 1.005

Originally posted by Lance
Ricky, The version of C-ComWP I sent you was the latest. Please email me and let me know how it's working for you. Thanks.

Lance

Lance,

I re-installed my C/com system on my new computer. I used the original floppy that came with the program, version 1.000.

How can I get the newer version 1.005 update ?? or the later one.

Thanks

Gotta agree on the Thinkpad. When I update a somewhat large group of cells (maybe 30 more more), the ECU gets all confused. In fact in addition to giving me a timeout error, the ECM will "reset" like it was turned off or something, even the fuel pump will prime itself again. The laptop doesn't seem to mind but the ECM can't handle it.

Forget about uploading a new program!

Non-Thinkpad computers don't give me this problem.

-Bob C.