weird electrical problem

84TXGN

I've been trying to figure this out for a while.

I noticed a few weeks ago that under acceleration or high rpms my volts light would flicker off and on a few times. I don't drive my car everyday but I noticed the next few times I drove the car it seemed to get more frequent until I checked my scnamaster one night on the way home and it only showed 8 volts.

I replaced the alternator thinking that would fix it. I drove the car after a new 140 amp alternator was installed and the problem was less frequent again. The volts light would only come on now under acceleration or high rpm. I then looked into other issues. I found that the ground wire from the block to the fire wall was loose. I tightened it and that did not help. I then noticed my module appeared to be leaking something from the bottom studs. I replaced the module and coilpack with known good ones and still had the issue.

I then swapped batteries and put on a new belt and neither one of those fixed the issue. The volts light still comes on under acceleration and high rpms. I'm running out of ideas. I know my plug wires are old and corroded but I'm not sure that would be the problem. I also sometimes have issues with my starter getting heat soaked. If I drive a lot in the heat and stop I'll have to tap the starter for it to work.

The light now is constant under acceleration and the scanmaster shows anywhere between 10.8 to 11.5 volts. The light is starting to get more frequent again. I also noticed after the alternator swap that when the light came on the volts according to scan master were around 11.5 to 12.0. It seems over time the issue may be taking out this new alternator.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Check to make sure your positive cable to the starter isn't hitting the header when the engine torques over.

I'll check the cable to the starter next time I mess with it. The cable to the alternator is fine. No corrosion and it's not rubbing on the crank pulley or anything.

just my .02 cents , but i would put new ground straps from battery to body , and to frame also . every older car i've owned has acted weird , due to a bad ground condition , or loose bolts , nuts , under coilpacks / module , at one time or another . also try watching your engine run at night , where there is absolutely no light . try reving engine , and looking over your wireing while doing so . some voltage leaks will show themselfs under these conditions . it needs to be as dark as pitch . dealing with electrical problems can be frustating . try to keep your cool brother , kicking it doesn't always work . that much , i do know . lmk if any of that helps .