Weird 2001 Regal GS problem

robk46

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while, but need a little help. . .

My mother in law has a 2001 Regal GS. Nice car, with all the options. It's been very reliable up until recently, when it's developed a weird power problem. The car will randomly not have ANY battery power. It will start and run fine all day, then it will randomly just not start. It will also not have any interior lights, radio, trunk solenoid. I mean it's DEAD. Then at a random point in time later the dome light will come on and everything will start working again.:mad::confused:

I've checked and cleaned all the grounds and positive voltage connections, replaced the battery and alternator, and swore like a sailor at it, but it still does it. I'm going to buy a chiltons for it today. What about the alarm system? It's a factory alarm.

ign lock or cyl maybe. I had this problem after having transmisson work done, it woudnt give power to the car , nothing no power. It would have power then not at times, i ripped off the key cyl cover, notice a pin would lock out the power/car. So,i just drove with the cover off, everytime it didnt give me power, I pushthe lockout pin back(easy to do with finger) then it would crank, have power. THIS is the only way i drove it, after few years i sold it, hope this helps any

I'll check the ignition lock and see what I can figure out. Maybe squirt some wd40 in there?

Ignition switch

Have you considered a bad ignition switch. I've heard it can cause some weird problems because all the cars electrical is tied to it. My car would sometimes die when I put on the left blinker. Replacing the ignition switch fixed it.
Board Message

Hi, does it have a piggyback positive battery cables on it? I had a problem with my Lesabre 2 months ago. It was corroded betwwen the 2 cables and the bolt going thru them was corroded and not making a good connection. It all started acting funny one day while driving down the highway, when I would accelerate the speedo was jumping up to 80/90 mph and i was only going 55mph. Then, when I would step on the brake to slow down the car would almost die and all the electrics(whatever was on) would quit working! Note: it was a b!tch getting the battery bolt out of the 2 cables......
good luck, steve

ignition switch isn't very common but a possibility...no very fun to replace so i would eliminate all other posibilities

side or top post battery?

Have you considered a bad ignition switch. I've heard it can cause some weird problems because all the cars electrical is tied to it. My car would sometimes die when I put on the left blinker. Replacing the ignition switch fixed it.
Board Message

Same thing happened to me. Replaced ignition switch and all was well. It was the most hilarious problem i've ever had to explain to anyone.

Do you have an alarm system? Key in dash? If so pull radio and check plugs on ignition switch. Do you know someone with a scanner? Check for codes in all modules. The factory passloc alarm will not cause it to go dead. It will cause a no start if it receives invalid code from key b2960 would be the code. If it malfunctions when running it will set a b2958 and after that code is set most likely the next time it is started it wont start. The security light will flash or stay on when there is a malfunction with the passloc. I would check the positive battery cable .If it has a stacked cable the lug between the two will corrode and cause this problem . If that is good your going to be after the switch. get it scanned before spending any money. good luck

Board Message
I'd second this. I had to drive with the hazard lights ON to keep our 02 GS running once after problems became less far apart. The ignition switch can cause all kinds of problems if it is flaky. It's a $300+ job, unfortunately.