Weird 2-3 Warm/hot shift

Hi, I have a rebuilt trans with pat's 3000 lockup. (The trans was rebuilt 11 yrs. ago but sat on shelf) I asked the builder if he recomended a tear down he said no just go ahead and run it. Well it worked great for a couple of weeks, Then it started to act funny. When it is cold it shifts great. then when the car warms up (Engine above 170 Tranny?) the car never gets above 180. It will start to hold 2nd till above (30mph 2400rpm) The car sometimes bangs back and forth from gear to gear. this is with very light throttle, If you lay into it a little it will shift hard at about 3000rpm. If the car cools down about 160 165 It will start shifting OK again. It is only noticable when you are cruising really slow like when you are trying to maintain 30-35mph. Does this sound like internal problems or valve body?

Thanks, Mike

mine does almost the exact same thing.

from 2nd to 3rd it will sometimes stutter shift with light throttle.
med to full throttle it is fine.
mine does it warm/hot also.

Hi,
The trans shifts 1-2 very hard every time. It is allmost seems to hard. It will chirp the tires everytime. unless you have a very light pedal pressure. 1 Symptom I did have was a slight flare on the 2-3 shift till I did the overfill mod.

Thanks, Mike

PHANTASM said:
mine does almost the exact same thing.

from 2nd to 3rd it will sometimes stutter shift with light throttle.
med to full throttle it is fine.
mine does it warm/hot also.

mines started to do that too now, got any ideas to what causes that?

Mine used to do that on the return road after a 1/4 blast. I pulled a click or so out of the TV cable and it seemed to help.

I've had this same issue with mine. With the tranny warm and at very light throttle you'll get a stutter step going into 3rd. I'm not sure what causes this because even after a quality rebuild I have noticed this problem. Haven't heard about the overfill mod. How much extra ATF do you put in?

Overfill

Hi,
Typically you would want to overfill by a quart. The fluid sloshes to the back of the pan under acceleration and starves the pick up.

Mike

mine does it when you are only babying it. under hard acceleration and throttle it works fine.

doesn't act up all the time either.

maybe something hanging up?
i have a stagerite brake if that matters.

It could be possible that the conv. is locking as soon as it shifts to 2nd.
Try it with the wiring disconected at the trans.

i think it may be a bad or going bad tcc solenoid.

i have a switch for the l/u of the converter. but it seems lately the thing locks by itself when in high gear. sometimes it doesn't.

??????