weight reduction mods?

anyone do any weight reduction? anything worth doing? I'm considering in the future, deleting the front 2 seats and rear seat and getting 2 light race seats and a fiber glass hood. how much would that cut? Thoughts?

IMO .. I would keep stock seats ... get the front and rear aluminum supports aluminum rear drums .. front rear glass bumpers and a glass hood. Want to go further get a glass decklid

2 front kirkey seats rear delete glass hood btw get a Hartline hood ... im guessing 100lbs

Last edited:
I'd put the money and time into the motor, really really good set of heads and racing torque converter. A new wing, mini starter, Braille racing battery and removing the spare tire/jack is almost 75lbs...is as far as you need to go without hacking the car.

Joe

yeah i was just curious about weight reduction. well i have a full bolt on car right now. when the motor takes a shit ill pull it and redo it all.

With some weight reduction, CG adjustments, DR's and a good tune, you should be in the high tens. Remember, you can always put whatever you take off back on. I have my perfectly good A/C system along with a 3'' S/S SLP catback system sitting in the attic. That is about 80lbs right there.

yeah i have drag radials, I'm gonna do some minor weight reduction and focus on tune. then upgrade suspension. just hoping to get into the 11s

I recently installed a complete new Spohn chrome moly front k-member and control arms with Pro drag coilovers. I'd say it is considerably lighter then the stock stuff plus also remover the front sway bar. Not installed yet but I also have all the rest of the Spohn rear suspension parts in chrome moly as well: cross member with drive shaft loop, Pro torque arm, Pro drag anti-roll bar, dbl adj rear lower control arms and pan hard bar. I'm not sure if I'm saving any weight with these parts though plus will be installing a set of UMI sub frame connectors and a full chrome moly cage. I'm probably adding back what I saved...considering a fiberglass hood as well, that should be a decent bit of weight saving. I'll be making a lot more power with the new motor so my weight isn't going to be much of a problem as long as I don't gain too much with the cage. I'll get it scaled in the Spring when everything is together.

Attachments

• IMG_20141026_180600_967.jpg
    IMG_20141026_180600_967.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20141104_162532_428.jpg
    IMG_20141104_162532_428.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20141104_162647_876.jpg
    IMG_20141104_162647_876.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20141105_091741_310.jpg
    IMG_20141105_091741_310.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 164
Da
It's a TTA not a gn.

Damn lol .... Id say kirkey seats rear delete .. spare tire and jack out ... lexan T-tops !
Hawks third gen spoiler ... just wondering how much weight you would save with a glass notch trunk with lexan window ?

light weight wheels ... k member .. chromolly torque arm and sfc's .. chromolly upper an lower A arms
chromolly drive shaft. no console ... carpet sound deadening stuff .... hmmm

I recently installed a complete new Spohn chrome moly front k-member and control arms with Pro drag coilovers. I'd say it is considerably lighter then the stock stuff plus also remover the front sway bar. Not installed yet but I also have all the rest of the Spohn rear suspension parts in chrome moly as well: cross member with drive shaft loop, Pro torque arm, Pro drag anti-roll bar, dbl adj rear lower control arms and pan hard bar. I'm not sure if I'm saving any weight with these parts though plus will be installing a set of UMI sub frame connectors and a full chrome moly cage. I'm probably adding back what I saved...considering a fiberglass hood as well, that should be a decent bit of weight saving. I'll be making a lot more power with the new motor so my weight isn't going to be much of a problem as long as I don't gain too much with the cage. I'll get it scaled in the Spring when everything is together.

Lookin' real good Scott! Spohn makes a really nice system for our cars. In fact when I ordered mine, the owner of Spohn told me that when he developed their K-members, he used a genuine '89 Turbo TA as the mule car for test fittings and the moc-ups. So it's probably the only unit on the market that was designed specifically around the Buick 3.8L V6 TTA's instead of say, a mid 80's Camaro with a standard V6. FYI , I ran my brake lines almost the exact same way you did..... Also, the fiberglass rear spoiler is much much lighter than the factory rubber unit. Good way to shave off about 75 to 100 lbs. with those few mods alone...

Last edited:
Lookin' real good Scott! Spohn makes a really nice system for our cars. In fact when I ordered mine, the owner of Spohn told me that when he developed their K-members, he used a genuine '89 Turbo TA as the mule car for test fittings and the moc-ups. So it's probably the only unit on the market that was designed specifically around the Buick 3.8L V6 TTA's instead of say, a mid 80's Camaro with a standard V6. FYI , I ran my brake lines almost the exact same way you did..... Also, the fiberglass rear spoiler is much much lighter than the factory rubber unit. Good way to shave off about 75 to 100 lbs. with those few mods alone...

Thanks Trent...you & your TTA definitely inspired me! I am very happy with the Spohn parts and fit has been perfect so far. Can't wait to get it all back together and on the road. My car also has the fiberglass rear spoiler...so much nicer then that big hunk of rubber!