Weber and Janis raise the beast!

good ol' NHT eh?

Dave,

Where in NHT do you live? I live in Harrison City and have an 85 GN. If you ever need any help with your build, I would be happy to help out a fellow GN guy!

BTW, build looks good sir!

Take care!

Chris

@Chris ….Thanks! I live up near the Townhouse. As you can see I don’t have a too much room to work, so typically I work alone. However, you are welcome to stop by and grab a cold beer and shoot the shet.

First off thanks to Bill for the hook up on the Canadian bumper supports, these will go a long way in smoothing the front bumper.
Also thanks to Jason, (Stagemonster) for the bracket I have been trying to get my hands on. I’ll give you a call to see when I can get it.

Well the build is going well. The transmission is completely installed. I only need to modify driveshaft loop, (I’ll post photos)

I word of advice to other builders, label the wiring harness, LOL. Years ago when I first built this car I took apart the harness cleaned all the wiring and replaced any damaged wires. I rewrapped the wires in new loom. So I felt I had a good understanding of what wires went where. But over the years I added various gauges, hot wire kits, fan kits, and an alky kit. So I was scratching my head today trying to remember where everything went. I can happily say I got it all figured out, but dang what a wasted day.

I am very close to starting this monster up! But I have to reign it back a bit. There are things I want to do before I put this back on the road. I have 3 the key items I refuse not to complete. These items are smoothing the front bumper, my hydro-boost mod and painting the header panel.
Where to now? Smoothing the bumper will be the next main focus.

BUMPER----Well I just blasted the front bumper and brackets, (thanks Rodney!) The bumper looks great, the brackets, well not so much, LOL. I plan to weld the bracket directly to the bumper. Sand it all down and prep for paint. Now I just have to find some way to get a little paint on it. Bill can you recommend anyone? I’ll be posting photographs this week.

BRAKES-----I have the cad model of the adapter plate I will be machining for the booster, but I have to wait until I get the bracket to make sure I have the correct angle between the firewall and master cylinder.

And lastly I have a deadline! I have a bet with a friend from work who swears I will not have this on the road this summer. If I do he does not believe I will get into the 12’s before the snow begins to fly at Keystone. So I hope to be drinking his beer within the next two months.

Dave

Drive Shaft loop

Well the loop I purchased from Kirbans a few years ago was coming into contact with the drive shaft when the car had more than two people in it. Of course my car is quite low, so I’m not too surprised.

I basically just glass beaded the part, heated the bracket and gave it a few whacks with the hammer. Then back in the blast cabinet and took down the sharp edges with the grinder. When I got home I matched it up to the body and it fit nice so I through some paint on it.
029.jpg031.jpg032.jpg036.JPG

The bumper begins

Well after the bumper and brackets were blasted I found what I expected, the bumper is in great shape, the reinforcement not so much. The two brackets that attach the bumper to the frame are in decent shape and will only need some minor repairs. The long brace is in bad shape.

Here’s the plan, I am going to weld the long bracket directly to the bumper. I will cut some 0.125” plate to fit into the rotted areas then clamp these plates directly on top of the bracket. Then weld the bumper to the plate. I will continue welding all the holes up and prep it for paint.

038.JPG040.JPG041.JPG043.JPG044.jpg

Update on Bumper!

Well the plates have been cut out with a water jet and installed into the bumper. As you can see the all the holes are welded up. I knocked the welds down with a grinder and smoothed with a DA. It’s looking pretty good. There are a couple of larger pits in the welds, but hey I’m not a welder! I’ll clean them up and hit it with the tig .
Tomorrow I’m going to throw same etching primer on it, add a little filler and hit it with sealer. Then it will go on the car. As I want to make some runs at the track before the season ends. Then this winter I’ll do all the body work on the car.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 604
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 613
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 613
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 604
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 612
Photo's

Photo's

Attachments

• 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 602
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 607
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 610
Hydro-boost Astro Drop In

I was going to do the hydro-boost unit in this thread but I think a lot of guys will not get the chance to read it if it’s buried here. I am going to start a new thread just for the hydro-boost set-up. So look for the new thread, “Hydro-boost Astro Van Drop In”

It's alive! The beast is blowing fire ahahhaahhaahhaaaahahhaaahhahaha

It’s alive! Started right up, (once I turned the security off on the chip.) Big thanks to Stagemonster for loaning me the oil priming tool. It worked perfectly! Also thanks to TurboRick for the maft-pro help.

Video of start-up

First off, can anyone tell me how to load a video? It appears I have to upload it to a website before I can up load it here. Is that correct? If so any suggestions on where I can do this, other than YouTube?

I took video of the start up and I would like to show it so any help would be great

Awesome build man!!! Cant wait to see this vid... How much power are you hoping to make with this set up?? On a safe tune?? Did the builder give you suspected numbers?? Hope all goes well with her!!!

First off, can anyone tell me how to load a video? It appears I have to upload it to a website before I can up load it here. Is that correct? If so any suggestions on where I can do this, other than YouTube?

I took video of the start up and I would like to show it so any help would be great

If you click reply there is an image link that ask you if you want to upload a file from your comp.

The feeling that you get when driving that bad boy. Well good luck and kick some ass!

My opinion, but some solid motor mounts would allow you to feel the trans shift much better. I saw the motor roll over pretty good when you gave it some gas. But MAN do I know the good / nervous feeling of firing up the motor for the first time.

I hope everything continuous to work out for ya. Your passion for this shows and it would be a great success story to know the car gave back.