Weber and Janis raise the beast!

Evaddave 87gn

Always learning...
First off a big thanks to Brian Weber for all the help and quality workmanship on my recent rebuild.
Same goes for Vince Janis who you can always count on for a high standards at a fair price.

Now on to the build! It has been three long years since my Buick roamed the streets. Well it’s time to return the beast to the street. Over the next few months the motor and transmission will be installed. I will be smoothing the bumpers, and installing a hydro-boost system to replace the factory set-up. Maybe even installing those ‘High end EBay Headers,’ (that I got brand new for FREE.) This thread will cover the engine and transmission installation. Everything from removing the plastic bag to installing the serpentine belt.
And so it begins!

Attachments

• One the stand.jpg
    One the stand.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,817
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,847
  • front eng pic.jpg
    front eng pic.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,822
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,830
That's pretty much where I'm at now.
I'm just waiting for the correct pushrods.
Since i took it all apart 2 years ago this thread will be great in putting it back together.
Good Luck.

D

Congrats. You're going to love the motor. What does your build consist of if you don’t mind me asking?

That's looking good.. My motor is @ the builders now too...Looks and sounds like there's going to be some fresh new TR's roaming the streets very soon. Funny how we all seemed to say its been a couple of years since we drove our cars.. lol. OUR TIME IS COMING. soon very very soon.

Add me to the list of semi-retired turbo Buick drivers! I spent several hours tearing stuff off the motor to pull it next week for a rebuild. My GN looks like the Delorean in "Back to the Future pt. 3" when Marty and Doc get it out of storage after years of sitting up. This thread lets me know that I'm not the only one patiently saving up $.

Intake On!

First of thanks for all the support. The car has been off the road for 3-4 years.

What is in the build? Well that could take awhile....
From bottom:
Billet mains
Forged crank
scatt rods
Je pistons
Champion heads and new intake
Comp. 269hr cam
Weber roller lifters
T&D roller rockers
Weber push rods
Cometic head gaskets
Ebay headers
6776 DBB turbo
Terry huston down pipe
Wide band 02

The trans has everything that Bruce could offer...LOL

Well since my last post I polished the fuel rails, pulley's, breathers.....etc...

BTW I'm waiting for new ARP intake bolts before I torque it down...Once I pop the fuel rails off I can get right at all the bolts...

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,477
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,493
Long block cost

The long block cost me roughly $6500.00. The total cycle time from dropping the engine off to picking it up was 8 months. It took longer than I expected, (two and a half months longer,) but I never had a machine shop complete a job on time. So I can't say I was really surprised.

Header set up

Well I did a blue check on the headers to heads and I was surprised how well they came out. The driver side needed a bit of work to match the new gaskets, but nothing was all that bad. The cross over pipe is a little long, but I should be able to make it work, at least for this summer.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,225
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,227
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,222
Engine put into place

First check out the valve covers! I painted them black then took a skim cut off the top with a end mill. I think they came out great.

Okay well onto the project, I finished assembly of the motor and with help from the wife, I placed the engine into the cradle. I gotta tell you how strange it is to open the hood and see an engine sitting in the car.

Rusty from TCS has the convertor. He is going to 'freshen' it up and send it back. I hope to get it back some time next week. Then I can install the transmission.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,222
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,214
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,216
Nice motor

First check out the valve covers! I painted them black then took a skim cut off the top with a end mill. I think they came out great.

Okay well onto the project, I finished assembly of the motor and with help from the wife, I placed the engine into the cradle. I gotta tell you how strange it is to open the hood and see an engine sitting in the car.

Rusty from TCS has the convertor. He is going to 'freshen' it up and send it back. I hope to get it back some time next week. Then I can install the transmission.

You have a killer motor,just to let you know i read a thread on here about the 70mm throttle bodys screw that are holding the blade on tend to crack off at any time,had a friend up here happen to him, i change mine after i heard that.Good luck.

Headers

@ Fast4ward

I've run these headers before and the down pipe was never an issue. So I don't expect there to be a problem this time. Now the cross over pipe on the other hand....

@278ciKiller

Well that sucks.....what did you end up running?

70mm

@ Fast4ward

I've run these headers before and the down pipe was never an issue. So I don't expect there to be a problem this time. Now the cross over pipe on the other hand....

@278ciKiller

Well that sucks.....what did you end up running?

You will have to take the heat gun or a small torch and heat one of the screws up and take it out they have blue lock tight on them,after it comes out take to any fastener place and they will match it with alankey ones ,if you can't find them let me know ill send you two free of charge.

Tansmission Bolted Up

Well I finally had some down time from work and family commitments to work on the Buick. So I have begun the process of installing the new transmission. The converter had some issues that I was able to fix, but can’t say I’m happy I had to do it, (since it just came back from the manufacture, but whatever.)

Anyway the transmission is bolted up to the block. I hope to have it all buttoned up this week.

Big thank you to Bill and Butch for the transmission jack, having the right tools sure can make the job easier.

I hope to find some time this week to work on the mounting of the Astro Van hydro-booster. I’ll probably take all the measurements and draw a 3D model at some point.

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,014
Lol me to!

I was at the track last week and man did that lite a fire under my azz. :biggrin:

I hope to get the track by the end of August. But it will be awhile before I run any real boost. I plan on taking my time to set the tune right.

Dave

awesome build/motor combo. Being a poor college student, i'm just saving up my money and buying parts here and there when I see good deals. Mine's been off the road for a little over 2 years now.