weatherstripping

gripsgn

I am looking to replace ALL of my weatherstripping on my car. I am stripping it down to repaint everything and I want to do it right. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best complete set of weatherstripping?

Need advise and opinions.

Mark

Stay away from Soffseal. I failed to take that advice and bought soffseal. One month later I replaced all of it with Metco. Do a search and you will find a ton of info on this board. The concensus is that GM is the best if you can find it and if you can afford it.

Stay away from Soffseal. I failed to take that advice and bought soffseal. One month later I replaced all of it with Metco. Do a search and you will find a ton of info on this board. The concensus is that GM is the best if you can find it and if you can afford it.

Breiter is right here...go with GM, they fit the best. Yes, expensive, very:eek: but isn't that why we all own Turbo Regals/Grand National....to spend endless amount of money?:wink: I have done the doors of my '87 with Metro, fit just fine, the trunk weatherstrip was a repro from Kirban's, fit perfect, works great, no problem there. The T-Top weatherstrip set is GM,plus the weatherstrips that go on the T-Tops are GM, but I bought them back when they were reasonable. For some reason, the GM weatherstrips are hard to find. Tony Auk on eBay sells them (Tauk). Plus Jennings Chevrolet has them in stock last time I looked. Try and go with GM, your best bet, but Metro does a good job also. And cheaper. Just my opinion here.

Bruce '87 Grand National

thanks

Are they still available from the GM dealer or are they obsolete? I was wondering about the Soffseal. We have some Soffseal on the 67 Camaro and they suck! We are gonna have to replace them soon and this car NEVER is outside overnight. It's kept in an conditioned environment 24/7 and they are just terrible.:mad:

Thanks for your input.

Mark

kirban 2 cents worth

Above advice is good....GM is the way to go costly but in the long run the way to go with one exception:

assuming you have a GN or turbo ca with the black out package the black door sill weather strip that goes on the door sill the aftermarket one we sell is superior to GM and cheaper....
We actually now sell more of the aftermarket one than GM version. This is the hard piece that is straight ad sit son the top of the door where the glass is..

We use to carry oen of the other aftermarket ones for the around the doors etc but too many headaches...either too hard not letting doors shut right....

Its alot of prep work to get them ready so that is one reaosn you want to go with GM seals around the doors and roof area.

However, the door sills this aftermarket version we sell is quite good. It is not made by soft seal or metro molded.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Currently GM T-Top seals are discontinued this other company we refer to is in the midst of making them as w supplied them with the GM originals.

You don't say whether you have a solid roof or T-tops. The body seals for the T-tops are discontinued through GM.

Never had a problem with the GM door weatherstrips either. They are tricky to install correctly and time consuming. Difinetly not for those of us who suffer from ADD.

kirban 2 cents worth

Above advice is good....GM is the way to go costly but in the long run the way to go with one exception:

assuming you have a GN or turbo ca with the black out package the black door sill weather strip that goes on the door sill the aftermarket one we sell is superior to GM and cheaper....
We actually now sell more of the aftermarket one than GM version. This is the hard piece that is straight ad sit son the top of the door where the glass is..

We use to carry oen of the other aftermarket ones for the around the doors etc but too many headaches...either too hard not letting doors shut right....

Its alot of prep work to get them ready so that is one reaosn you want to go with GM seals around the doors and roof area.

However, the door sills this aftermarket version we sell is quite good. It is not made by soft seal or metro molded.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Currently GM T-Top seals are discontinued this other company we refer to is in the midst of making them as w supplied them with the GM originals.

LOL Dennis, been drinking tonight?:biggrin: Good info and I'll be getting them from you when I'm ready for them.:biggrin: Spell check is a good thing.:tongue:

Agreed. I put the Metro seals in my T-top GN. Now i an going to rip them out and put the GM ones i was saving. Tried to save some cash. Just ended up costing me more.

thanks

My car is not a t-top car. Dennis, I will be getting with you in the near future when I am ready. Thanks for the info and advise.

Mark

Any reasonable sources for front, side (small rectangular windows L&R back seat) and moon-roof glass seals? Any links describing this replacement. I'm assuming these seals will come out with two guys sawing with a piece of wire on a warm day or with a heatgun.

The quarter windows (small rectangular ones) are all one piece from the factory. They have five nuts on the inside that hold them in. Use a 3M window sealer to seal them up. If the rubber around the glass is bad, you will have to replace the entire window. Good luck. ---Keith