We Don't Know How Good We Have It.

corsair231

I just want to say thanks to Shane for running such an outstanding site. We truly don't know how good we have it here. The moderators are great, there is a lot of knowledge available here, and "most" of the members are pretty mature. We are spoiled and I....I love it.

I recently purchased another project car, a Plymouth Laser RS-T and I am on the hunt for information and knowledge on these cars. I've been searching the internet for a site with the quality of this one. I have found a few nice ones but one that I visited was just rediculous in what you have to do to be a member. I understand the need for protocols to keep spammers and trolls out but that site has rules about rules. It makes it seem non-newbie friendly, almost like they don't want new members. Sure, registration was straight forward but then they have a lurker rule. Not an approval period of a couple of days, but a 7 day lurker rule. You can browse, but you can not post for 7 days. Wow, If I was just looking for the answer to a specific question that I couldn't find thru the search function then I'd be SOL. Makes me want to find the answer somewhere else and not go back.

Second rule was that you can not post a for sale item until you have a post count of 50. Ok, I can see a need for keeping the Chinese crap selling (No offense to the guys selling the headers and i/c's here. I'm talking the neon light, fart can, type ricer junk that flea-bay is full of.) spammers out that really don't contribute to anything but their own pockets. 50 posts may be a nice round number but get this. They are anti-post-whor ing. That's okay too but to keep people from being a p-w, no post made in the newbie, the lounge, kills, political, photos, for sale, or wanted sections count towards your post count. :confused: If you have a well running car then most of your post may not be in the tech sections. And unless you are a guru then you may not be able to answer the questions posed by other members. Does that mean that you don't contribute to the board? Plus they tell you to visit the newbie section to find the answers to your questions before you post. Like they don't want to be bothered with simple questions.

I thought the purpose for these board communities was two fold. First I thought it was for people who shared similar intrest in similar cars to get together and get to know each other. Exchange pleasantries and such. Second, I thought that it was for people to share knowledge about said cars. It seems that site was geared more toward staying a closed community than actually wanting new members. Actually several of the boards I visited have similar rules and the same vibe.

Maybe it is the type of people that frequent those boards that make them have to operate that way. Maybe all of the "ricer" boards are that way. I don't know. I do realize the boards are privately owned and no one has a right to post on them unless given that permission. I know that it takes a great deal of money and time to keep these things going so I do appreciate that, but why make it difficult for newbies? It just seems that this board (and some of the other Buick) boards are just a much more laid back and pleasant place to be. So once again, thanks Shane for having me visit your house and making me feel welcome.

Thanks so much for the kind words, post like this make it all worth while:)

It is extremely difficult at times to run a forum of this size. A lot of hard decisions to make... It couldn't be done without the wonderful staff we have here at TurboBuick.com!

Thanks again!

I've been a member of the site you're talking about since 2001, but never really posted much there since my Turbo Talon is my daily beater and its stock down to the paper filter. I get on there just recently due to a broken door handle and can't get squat done since they've changed the rules. I only had about 30 posts. I get on asking about door handles, where to buy, how hard to change etc, and the post gets locked cuz it seems as though I'm trying to get around the "no buy/sell" rule until 50 posts, and the Mod starts blasting me.

I know what you mean. I started a thread asking for data on E85 in a VW forum and didn't get much in the way of help or answers. My guess was because I was new, I got a bunch of crap from what seemed to be spoiled kids. I figured most car enthusiasts helped each other the way Turbo Buick owners do and found out that is NOT true.

Thanks again guys/gals.

Just joined another board and wow. This one has subforums for everything and a newbie tech only area. You can't post in the other tech forums until you hit 50 post. So even though they have a subforum about manual transmissions with a sub-sub forum about clutch linkage you can't ask a question there until you have an upgraded member status. :rolleyes: If you've got enough post to have a guru status then you probably don't need clutch help. Plus they won't let you introduce yourself in the lounge section. They have a forum for newbie introductions that they require you to post in, but they won't let older members give welcome replies. :confused: Isn't that what the lounge is for? Getting to know people. How do you do that if you can't say hi? The turbo Buick community has spoiled me.

There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's.......

I dont even have a Buick! :) But I relate to this place better than where Im at much of the time.