water wetter

''water wetter'...I've always wondered what exactly is that stuff?...does it work or is it just a gimmick?:rolleyes:

Claude :confused:

''water wetter'...I've always wondered what exactly is that stuff?...does it work or is it just a gimmick?:rolleyes:

Claude :confused:
It works Claude. What it does is break down the thermal layer so the water doesn't steam as easily. When hot metal and water (boiling) are together the water has a layer of steam insulating it. I know this doesn't sound right but it's very true. The layer between the block and the coolant keeps the engine from cooling as well and with the additive the water cools more effectivly.

100% what Charlie said......I've been using the stuff for a very long time on my cars and it works wonderful....really cools down my formally hot running Vette, now it's at 180 degrees or less......good stuff.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Like Charlie stated, WW contains a surficant which breaks down surface tension and allows better heat transfer from the metal to the liquid.

However, when I used WW years ago, it did not contain additives to adequately protect the cooling system. After using it a couple years with just water, we had leaking radiators. The solder joints were actually dissolving inside the radiator. :(

This was in the early 1990's when the had both a powder and liquid form of WW.

In the '80's and 90's I ran a fleet of commercial trucks here in the desert, and cooling systems were a major maintenance item for 6 months of the year.

We then switched to RMI-25 which has a surficant and other items for added protection and cleaning. We have had excellent success with it.

The radiator in my 1987 is still like new with no calcium or silicone deposits in the cooling system. I have serviced cars with alum radiators, and many over 10 years old still look and work like new.

Tubes in a crossflow radiator will look fine when seen through the cap opening, but since tubes will get plugged and corroded shut from the bottom up you may think it is good? :eek:

We examine used radiators be removing an end tank and visually check flow in that manner. After 10 years with antifreeze in the system, over 50% of the tubes will be unusable. We also use a heat gun to check flow and condition on running vehicles.

With a vehicle using RMI, with or without antifreeze, it will give MANY more years of trouble-free cooling system service than any product we have tested.

Iv'e been running RMI-25 for more years than I can really remember. Nick got me using it along time ago and to this day not only does my car run COOOOL, like 160- to 170 NO matter what, my radiator is a CAS aluminum 2 core that I bought from Tony DeQuick when he first made them and to this day it is as new inside.
I do flush my cooling system every other year and put in new RMI-25 and distilled water. You just CAN"T beat RMI-25 Period !!

This is on my list for this year also.I plan on doing some friday night test and tune and A/F should never be used at a race track.o_O Cannot remember how many cars puked their A/F on the track last year,nasty stuff to clean up and you don't want to be sliding around in it if a hose or frost plug lets go:eek:

Kevin

I use water wetter as an anti oxidizer and thats it. Distilled water is a waste because it will only be distilled for about 10 seconds after you pour it in and it contacts the iron surfaces of the block where it will oxidize them very quickly since it has very few impurities in it to begin with. Yes it will rust things quicker than tap water and wont be distilled for long. Idk whoever thought distilled water is better than tap water.

This is on my list for this year also.I plan on doing some friday night test and tune and A/F should never be used at a race track.o_O Cannot remember how many cars puked their A/F on the track last year,nasty stuff to clean up and you don't want to be sliding around in it if a hose or frost plug lets go:eek:

Kevin

So you are saying the guys that have true street cars and need antifreeze because of freezing temp driving shouldn't be allowed at the track? Or should we be required to change coolant twice a year? If you can keep your car in one piece, than antifreeze should never be an issue.

Not trying to start a rant, but I hear it at the track all the time. Everyone blames antifreeze instead of blaming the guy that can't keep his motor together.

its not really the guy not bieng able to keep hes motor togeter even the gods of the race way some times pay perile the anty freeze protects the track and other people using it and saves for any delays during clean up if and with s h i t dos hit the fan

I have used WW and a small amount of antifreeze (to lubricate the pump) for years here in Central Florida. That being said, i am going to run RMI in the GN build.

So you are saying the guys that have true street cars and need antifreeze because of freezing temp driving shouldn't be allowed at the track? Or should we be required to change coolant twice a year? If you can keep your car in one piece, than antifreeze should never be an issue.

Not trying to start a rant, but I hear it at the track all the time. Everyone blames antifreeze instead of blaming the guy that can't keep his motor together.
Sometimes it has nothing to do with the engine. Ive seen anti freeze waste my time about 50 times in my life so far. At least an hour each time it gets spilled. Eliminate the anitfreeze and my time isnt wasted. Fwiw i dont run antifreeze ever at the drag strip.

if you store your car indoor in the winter and its mostly garaged in the summer you can run water with ww or rmi 25 all summer well at least up here in canada i can on the other hand dont store your car outside with out some anti freeze in it or kiss your block heads rad good bye

I thought the reason was distilled does not boil as fast as tap water and In case of a blown head gasket the water with RMI will not kill your bearings and make such a mess as coolant would...

Our track really is pushing for no antifreeze period.Push a frost plug and skate around in antifreeze vs water.The stuff is so hard to clean up it makes down time for everyone 4 times a long.I know how things go bad and don't take any chances,I have enough bad luck with out tempting fate.JMHO

Kevin

All good points. I only test and tune my car though and it is a street car. If I sign up for a bracket someday, then I can see being forced to just use water. I drive it in the winter though if the streets are clean enough. I had it out in January when it was 0 degrees out. I go to the street car events at the track and I just don't see an antifreeze ban being accepted, and wouldn't it also kind of take away from it being a "street car" event? I suppose if the car has racing tires on it though, then it should be properly race prepped which would inclde no antifreeze in my book too.

Thanks for the input.

I thought the reason was distilled does not boil as fast as tap water and In case of a blown head gasket the water with RMI will not kill your bearings and make such a mess as coolant would...
I'm pretty sure they all boil around 212* and about 3* more for every 1psi pressure added.