water leaking on my passenger's side...

Realspool

I have owned my 87 turbo Regal for 11 years now.I have had virtually no problems with it even through some modifications.I did get a new heater core installed in it about 9 months ago.I am getting inches of water on the front and more so to the back passenger's side floor board only when it rains.I was told that new roof rail weatherstrips would not solve my problem.I do have a nonworking Astroroof that leaked for many years and recently I just used alot of black sillicone to stop the leak from the Astroroof.Instead of 6 inches i got about 2 to 3 inches from the last rain storm.I live in PA near Kirban Performance.I have heard that there is some other way rain water gets in through the roof.Something about a rubber tube that goes to the pillars :confused:My headliner is shot from all the water over the years and its just hanging there,barely.I should probably just strip it down to the bare metal :mad: My car runs great but every time it rains i have to get about 6 to 10 towels to get the water out :mad: .I do think the water is dripping down not from the Astroroof but somewhere along the roof.I hope someone could guide me to where it could be leaking. :confused:

I Dont think the water is coming from the roof but rather somewhere around the cowl or heater box area - get a friend and a water hose.... pull out your glove box and under dash cover and while you or your friend spray water in certain locations the other look for drips in the inside - in the meantime get a heavy duty wet/dry vac and try and get as much water up as possible then put some sort of silicate or water absorbant stuff to get rid of the excess moisture.. HTH

Thanks for your reply,I definately need to check those 2 areas.One thing is that when i get the rain water in my car it is usually alot worse when my breathable car cover is on :confused: .I was worried about the recent heater core installed because I have heard that when replacing the heater core it is very important to do everything right becauise it can cause water to get in the car even though it is sitting like my car is :confused: .Im going to try and leave the car cover on and just run the hose around the astroroof,cowl and heater box area.Hopefully I can finally find out where the heck the constant floods in my car are occuring. :cool:

windshield

Alot of the G-bodies I have owned have had windshield leaks, I usually take off all of the window trim and clean the edges, then put a thin bead of clear silicon on the edge, and that seems to fix the problem. However, they also leak a lot near the heater core, and the cowl/firewall area

I ran a hose on full pressure around the roof and all around.No water seemed to leak anywhere except when I opened the passenger's side door suddenly.It seems like below the windshield trim on the passenger's side the bottom door seal molding is not totally in tact at the top and as I opened the door the water seemed to slide to the left of that molding towards the interior.Is this common to have leaks there??The car is also on a slight hill and I always have my wheels turned.I think maybe the hill makes the leak very excessive because the water runs down hill.It seems like twice a day every other day here in PA. I have to go out and actually use about 8 large heavy cloth towels to get this water out :mad: .Are these bottom door seals easy to install or should i just have a body shop put them on?? Also is it quite common for bad door sealings to cause water to get into these cars :confused:

RealSpool, just reading with interest & I really feel for you. Had a sports car long ago that did that. I know absolutly nothing about leaks in GN, & it never rains here in Ca. But....if the hill has anything to do with it & the car runs I highly suggest turning the car to face opposite direction. Our GN's are appreciating in value, & you know what that H-2-O does to cars.
G'luck....

#1HotRod said:
RealSpool, just reading with interest & I really feel for you. Had a sports car long ago that did that. I know absolutly nothing about leaks in GN, & it never rains here in Ca. But....if the hill has anything to do with it & the car runs I highly suggest turning the car to face opposite direction. Our GN's are appreciating in value, & you know what that H-2-O does to cars.
G'luck....
Sounds like an idea that could work,maybe.I do keep it garaged for the winter if Im not going to drive it much, but for now in these terrible rains in the northeast it sucks.I think I know where the leak is now as stated in my previous post.If only I knew someone in PA that knows anything about fixing my broken astroroof everything would be at least working. :rolleyes: I wish my Turbo T Limited did not have that dam Astro roof but the car has run great for over 10 years now so i guess I can't complain too much. :cool:

Pass. Leak

Years ago, a friend of mine from a Pontiac dealership told me that some g-bods had a drain tube in/for the cowl area. If this tube gets clogged it can cause a leak into the interior. Never had to clean one, but it might be worth checking out. Good luck. Tom

I seen both of the rubber tubes.I guess I would have to take the headliner down.It doesn't matter anyway now because its beyond repair from when the Astro Roof leaked.The car now is not parked up a hill but rather down the hill.I thought just maybe it could stop the leaking.Being that it rained very light today im not sure if I can say it helped.I don't think its leaking through the Astro roof anymore since I virtually used so much water resistant black rtv sillicone to seal everything around the roof.Im not sure if those 2 tubes on each side would matter if they were clogged because of the sealed Astro Roof unless there is some other way water gets through the roof in these cars :confused: I tend to think that the water may be coming through or around the cowl area.Hopefully it rains hard enough tonight, so i can see if by parking down hill I can somehow at least tempoarily stop this miserable :mad: flooding on my passenger's side. :cool:

Astroroof

Hi there,

Kirban has an AstroRoof troubleshooting book. If it turns out that your problem is NOT the cowl then perhaps you should get one. I have one somewhere, if need be I can check it to see what it says regarding leaks but it is quite a complete manual with "cut apart" diagrams and other stuff and would probably be worthwhile to have regardless.

Take care,

Ravi

p.s. I'm not on the system too often so if you need to get a hold of me you can send me a pm.