Water injection 3.8 with Carb

kary

Where is the best place to introduce water injection on a Buick 3.8 with a carb. It would seem like the most efficient placement would be after the turbo shooting directly into the intake manafold on the turbo compressor bend. This would be cooling the charge after boost. But, would this change the air-fuel ratio? Any suggestions or comments.

Water injection seems like a very good addition to a draw thru Buick with a carb. Anyone with experience or comments.

I'm injecting after the turbo at the turbo outlet- intake elbow. Yes it does effect the A/F ratio. So you will have to do some-allot of tuning.

What is the configeration of your system? Did you build it yourself or is it a manufactured system? It seems like water injection is a very cost effective modifacation to install. I am very interested in getting as much information as possible on methods and experiences. Thanks

I build it my self; I'm using a NOS nozzle. And I have built a progressive PWM control that speeds the pump up as Boost pressure increases.

So far it works OK. But I don't have any track time on it.

What the heck is all this water injection stuff? You actually inject water into your engine? If it's not too much i'd like to get all the info i can on this. And really, why exactly do you do this?

what type of pump do you use, and what kind of pressure. what is a pwm control (speeds pump,more pressure,flow, as boost goes up)and where is it from? sounds like a cool setup!

I'm running a ford inline fuel injection pump; the pressure I measured was around 100 PSI (dead headed).

The PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is a DC motor speed control. I built (I'm an Electronic tech/ engineer). I'm using a 3 bar MAP sensor to sense the boost levels to turn the pump on and to determine pump speed.

Like I said, I have not really fully tested it yet, But I like what I see so far.

I did use it at the track last year up at Epping NH (New England Dragway). I still had C16 fuel in the tank; it was about 90° (f) out. I had the pump come on at 18 # and had speed control set to the lowest pump speed. Because I had the car tuned to run the C16. And the car picked up 2MPH in the ¼ Mile. I didn’t notice an ET drop. But just the cooling effect at the high boost range makes a difference.

My goal is to run pump gas instead of Race fuel. But it has to be consistent. If it is not consistent I’ll run the race fuel instead. And this is what I still have to test.