wastegate

Dustin27987

What is the difference between and internal and external wastegate? Is there any benefits to haveing the external wastegate? I noticed that a lot of used wastegats that people sell are for external wastegate setups.

External WG's are needed for cars that make BIG horsepower (avove 650) but are not needed for most. They cost more, due to the added expense of the wastegate. I paid $500 just for my wastegate. Most of the used down pipes out there for external wastegates were replaced with integral ones due to the cost of cutting the flanges off and replaceing them, because the original wastegates that were sold with the down pipes were piles of JUNK! The new one are stainless and are great, but do not directly bolt-up and need some fabrication, requiring a TIG welder. Go with an integral wastegate and you will be very happy with it. They are easy to install and adjust boost with. Most external wastegate rquire a good boost controller to work good.

Here is a link that shows pictures of the most common style of wastegate & downpipe setups.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbos-turbo-related-parts/209431-3-4-bolt-turbo-mount.html

Internal uses an adjustable wastegate actuator that has a threaded adjustment rod that you either lengthen or shorten to lower or raise the boost. Some refer to this type of downpipe as a Terry Houston style.

External style uses an external wastegate such as a Tial 38-46mm, T-netics Deltagate, or Racegate or ATRs old external wastegate.
As turbofabricator mentioned, externals are mainly for use on higher hp cars, or if you want to run an electric boost controller or in the car manual boost controller. The downside to running an external has always been the cost.
I agree, get a good internal wastegate style downpipe and an RJC boost controller and never look back.
Just my O2s worth.

Patrick