Want to sell my 86 T-Type, please give advice..

Romulus

Kind of long, so please bear with me.. I'd REALLY appreciate input here..

Well, I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with my car. First, here's the situation.. I graduated college (in SC) last summer and left my car at my parent's house in Columbia, SC. I have been in Texas since (in the Air Force). For a while I debated having it shipped or going home and towing it here myself so I could do some minor maintenance and clean it up a bit before putting it up for sale. However, I realized that it may take just as much money to do that as to sell it for a few grand less as-is. I REALLY want to have it gone by May or at the latest, June.

Info on the car..

39k original miles. internally stock motor and original trans w/ shift kit. Charcoal gray with light gray interior. No rust or damage ever. Power windows, pwr. driver seat, cruise, tilt, am/fm cass. , rear defrost, power ant., factory tinted glass. black out trim.

The mods. are:
pt-51 turbo
Cas v-2 front mount intercooler
50 lb injectors with lubrant street and race chip
Terry houston down pipe
2 3/4" stainless exhaust
340 walbro pump
Hot wire kit and volt booster
Manual boost controller
Kenne bell ram air
Tial BOV
SMC Alch injection
rjc plate
modified D-5 3000 stall converter
Level 10 shift kit
New centerline Telstar wheels 8's and 4's
Jim Testa race chip
Boost, oil and Temp. guages
Drive shaft loop
new 4 core radiator
This car looks brand new, the interior is mint, you could eat of the engine compartment or under carriage. I have the window sticker, dealer invoice and all paper work since new. I have been to the track a total of 4 times and run a 7.43 @ 95 and 11.58 @117.

Pictures:

http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/upload/tbuick11.jpg
http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/upload/tbuick12.jpg
http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/upload/tbuick13.jpg
http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/upload/tbuick14.jpg

I went home over christmas and drove it around a little to find something wasn't running quite right.. It wasn't shifting quite right and when I slowed to a stop it seemed like the transmission wouldn't downshift, forcing the engine to stall.. The motor seems to run fine (no smoke at all, pulls strongly) and considering the transmission is stock + a shift kit, I am inclined to think it's the culprit.

Do I pay to bring it out here, or cut my losses and sell it as it sits? I figure it would cost a few hundred bucks to get it out here myself (driving 1000 miles each way) or a little more to have someone ship it, and then the cost of a rebuilt tranny + a few hundred more for new headliner and other small things.

Anyone else been in this sort of problem? What do you think the car is worth right now?

Thanks for any input :cool:

Sounds like the TCC solenoid may be the culprit in the trans. It's not an expensive part and doesn't take much to change out. You can unplug it and see if the problem goes away.

BTW, nice looking car!

Dannyo

So how much are you looking to get?

I've never been a big fan of the big&skinnies wheel combo, but it doesnt look to bad on your car. I do love that color though. :eek:

If you have any more pics, can you send them to me at;

v8400hp@aol.com

Thanks,
Tim.:cool:

Originally posted by Danster
Sounds like the TCC solenoid may be the culprit in the trans. It's not an expensive part and doesn't take much to change out. You can unplug it and see if the problem goes away.

BTW, nice looking car!

Dannyo

That is exactly what I was thinking.

You should have no problem selling that car. Do you still have the stock wheels also? Might be more appealing to some as "stock" appearing externally.

Be a little patient and you should be in the $11-$14k range no problem.

Josh, give me a call at 828-712-4762, I would like to talk to you about the car. Haven't selpt good since I sold it to you. Thanks, Kevin

Originally posted by Danster

BTW, nice looking car!

Dannyo

could it also be the tcc switch at the brake pedal?...

my 85 T did the same thing... the switch was shorted "closed" and the problem seemed identical.

for whatever reason the TCC is not unlocking...causing the stall.