Want honest opinions

1 quik6

I don't want to slam the person who did the work on my intake. I'd like to figure out my next step though.

I had the stock iron TTA heads ported and installed by my engine builder. I later had my intake "port matched" and was persuaded to have it fully ported, the EGR welded and installed.

Last week I pulled off the upper plenum to look inside to inspect the work. I was supprised to see that the intake was not ported to exactly match the heads. A few of the ports matched, probably 5 or 6 had a lip on one side. The intake is ported larger on those ports than the heads.

I can't really just make the intake ports smaller to flow smoothly into the heads. The only thing I can think of is removing the heads and making the intake ports on the head larger to flow smoothly from the intake.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there any reason my engine guy would have done this on purpose. Could a lip (the thickness of a dime) some how improve performance? (I think I already know the answer)

2. Since the engine has never been run are my Cometic head gaskets reuseable?

This is my 4.1L stroker with hopes of high tens some day. Just spent quite a bit of money on new long block and want to do it right.

Thanks,

Eric

If you loosen the intake base bolts, you can shift the intake fore and aft to get the ports to align better. (it will require the need for a new intake gasket, and end seals/silicone) Slide it fore and aft to get the best fit/alignment. (this should have been done on assembly) It is not a HUGE gain or loss to have a minor mis-match. A perfect alignment is best, but not really totally necessary. Even if you were to weld the runners up and perfectly match them, you probably wouldn't be able to quantify the gains/losses.
To fix it, you can port the heads to a 1200 Felpro intake, and then bolt the intake down onto your engine. Then take a 1/8" drill and drill two holes through the intake and the head, including the 1200 gasket) on each head. Then remove the intake and mark the gaskets. Then use 2 1/8" drill bits to align the gasket to the intake. Then scribe the gasket to the intake and port away. This is the BEST way to accomplish a perfect port match.
I agree with Grumpy Dan. (WHY are you SOOOooo grumpy anyway;) ) Yes, you can re-use your head gaskets up to 6 times. (So I'm told)

If you loosen the intake base bolts, you can shift the intake fore and aft to get the ports to align better. (it will require the need for a new intake gasket, and end seals/silicone) Slide it fore and aft to get the best fit/alignment. (this should have been done on assembly) It is not a HUGE gain or loss to have a minor mis-match. A perfect alignment is best, but not really totally necessary. Even if you were to weld the runners up and perfectly match them, you probably wouldn't be able to quantify the gains/losses.
To fix it, you can port the heads to a 1200 Felpro intake, and then bolt the intake down onto your engine. Then take a 1/8" drill and drill two holes through the intake and the head, including the 1200 gasket) on each head. Then remove the intake and mark the gaskets. Then use 2 1/8" drill bits to align the gasket to the intake. Then scribe the gasket to the intake and port away. This is the BEST way to accomplish a perfect port match.
I agree with Grumpy Dan. (WHY are you SOOOooo grumpy anyway;) ) Yes, you can re-use your head gaskets up to 6 times. (So I'm told)

Reusing head gaskets ? Is that just with the cosmetics or can it be done with Felpro 9441's as long as the engine hasn't been fired up?

Reusing head gaskets ? Is that just with the cosmetics or can it be done with Felpro 9441's as long as the engine hasn't been fired up?

If you replace the same head on the same side, and have the same gasket oriented the same way, then yes, I would do it. Might even work better. Double compression.;)

I recall reading an article in Car Craft, I think, where they looked at where the power was to be found in head work - port matching made almost no difference in the engine they were working with.

I have reused cometics . creating another mess here now for the Mazda :rolleyes: Oh I am Grumpy because its 4:48AM and I can't sleep :p

Epoxy the intake and then re port. all the high end guys use it in there sheet metal intakes I dont see why you couldnt.

A.j.

I recall reading an article in Car Craft, I think, where they looked at where the power was to be found in head work - port matching made almost no difference in the engine they were working with.

I would think the results could vary considerable depending on how mis-matched they were and if the head or intake was bigger. I'd think an intake being too small would flow better than airflow hitting a wall as if flows into the head (like mine).

I tried shifting the intake back and forth. The problem is that they aren't all off on the same sides. Some ports are off on the bottom, some on different sides. I'm running into a shift in one direction cutting off one port as I'm just getting another in line.

I guess I'm pulling the heads again. I'll send them to somebody I trust and see if there is room to port them a little bigger.

Thanks for the advice.

Eric

Think you should send the intake as well and get it blended.

What are you doing for an IC?

Think you should send the intake as well and get it blended.

Yeah, I was already planning on that. The guy also asked me to send him exhaust manifolds also just to check exhaust flow while we're at it.

What are you doing for an IC?

Dutt Neck on a stock TTA intercooler for now. I'd like to upgrade down the road but I'm already way over budget on this project already.

Personally, unless your trying to build an all out race car then what your doing is wasted time. Altho, you could be like ME & need a winter project each year so you start opening things up & playing around all winter. The gains you get from what your doing arent doing much to your timeslip,but its fun so why not? Good Luck!

Personally, unless your trying to build an all out race car then what your doing is wasted time. Altho, you could be like ME & need a winter project each year so you start opening things up & playing around all winter. The gains you get from what your doing arent doing much to your timeslip,but its fun so why not? Good Luck!

What part is a waste of time? Port matching or something else?

I think he means correcting the miss matched porting

YES! Thanks for that clarification as i wasnt very clear! Sorry!
Really, playing the port matching game is fun & takes a few beers to do & actually I enjoy it but the Timeslip Gains are almost Zero! Still FUN to do! :)

YES! Thanks for that clarification as i wasnt very clear! Sorry!
Really, playing the port matching game is fun & takes a few beers to do & actually I enjoy it but the Timeslip Gains are almost Zero! Still FUN to do! :)

It SURELY won't hurt, either!;) But, if the mismatch is less than .050", I wouldn't worry too much. Over that, and there "might" be a gain, but you can just turn the boost up 1 psi. and get the same gain, if not more. I DO understand your concern. Pay good money for a nice job. and get something less than perfect, is annoying. I try my best to make all the ports align as close as possible. With out the exact finished block and head gaskets, it's really hard to "guess" where to move the port walls. I try to eye-ball the original intake gasket imprint to go by. If I am unsure of where things fall, I will leave the intake manifold ports about .030"-.050" smaller than the gasket being used.