want 250-300HP

sailor77

What do I do? 85 Riv, all stock. Looks like I will be going to an 84/85 turbo regal turbo placement. What do I need to look for to get 250HP? Also will newer 3.8 FWD heads fit? I heard somewhere that they will and they flow better then the GN's.

I was thinking some head and intake work and a cam. What will that get me?

Your best bang for the buck would be to port and polish the Intake Manifold and heads. I would stick with the 8445's. They are also plentyful from the junk yard. Just have the machine shop port them for you.

what do you think the port and polish would get me? How about adding a small cam to the package. I don't want anything over the top

Not sure as to what the port and polish would get you. I am in the process of saving up to have it done myself. A cam would also help, but I am unsure of the actual numbers of horses. You might want to consider a performance engine rebuild. What good is doing all the work if your innerds can't take the power. Poston's has great engine rebuild kits for just about every year. One last thing. You said that your Riv is all stock, you might want to put a big fat K&N filter on there, and bigger Injectors as well. And pump up your fuel pressure. Then there is the exhaust that you want to open up.
It's a lot I know. But unfortunately us Hot Air owners have to work for every extra horse that we get.

That isn't bad at all. What kind of HP do you suspect you are making? Was the ECM conversion easy? Also do you have any pics of the engine, I would like to see how it looks.

Here is what I am thinking of doing

87 ECM and wiring
pocket ported heads
ported intake manifold
possible slightly bigger cam (duh I won't go smaller)
FPR
Chip

Also I will be swapping to the 85 HA Regal set up as with manidolfs, turbo, DP, ect...

Originally posted by sailor77

Also I will be swapping to the 85 HA Regal set up as with manidolfs, turbo, DP, ect...

Why? From what I have read, the Riviera's plumbing was better (straighter/smoother) than the Regals. This is why some years the Riviera had higher factory HP rating than the Regal.

As true as that may be, I need the firewall clearance to put this motor in my Jeep. :)

I guess that's a little different than a "85 Riv, all stock". Might want to put that in your signature so we know what's going on. ;)

Don't worry about the piping. The Riviera piping SUCKS!

1 7/8" crossover tube and is crushed to smaller than that in some locations. Headers are similar to the regal headers. The pass side may flow better on the riv though. But then the turbo has to go through the U-shaped intake adapter. Gotta love Buick.

'87 ECM conversion took about an hour. WAY easy and is in my opinion one of the smartest conversions anyone can do to an '84-'85 car. Chips galore, and it kills much of the driveability issues associated with the hot air cars.

Probably somewhere in the 280-300 hp range at the wheels.

If you don't want to run as much boost as me (21 psi), then the port work isn't a bad idea. My class rules say no porting, so I can't. Everything else looks good. Use a good 9" or 12" K&N cone filter as well. Ditch the stock clutch fan in favor of an electric.

Originally posted by sailor77
What do I do? 85 Riv, all stock. Looks like I will be going to an 84/85 turbo regal turbo placement. What do I need to look for to get 250HP? Also will newer 3.8 FWD heads fit? I heard somewhere that they will and they flow better then the GN's.

I was thinking some head and intake work and a cam. What will that get me?
Hope I can help here, after reading some of you posts, and we have passed a few messages, this would be my best recomendation.

You should pull the motor/trans/wire harness out of the car keeping everything well labeled and organized.

Sell all the Riviera stuff you don't need so you can buy all the 84-5 turbo Regal stuff you need (headers , crossover, turbo, brackets,etc.)

Get motor cleaned up and install it in the Jeep. Most important thing for your success would be to install all the turbo Regal parts to your motor in completely stock 84-5 configuration FIRST, you will have your hands full just doing the hybrid swap. Remember you have to get your trans to work with the motor, oil pan clearance, motor mounts, radiator hook up, electrical hook ups, etc, it is going to be a challenge enough, get it running stock first, now you will have a baseline to make performance upgrades.

Nothing wrong with asking how to make more power, but you do have some work ahead just to get it running stock, but at least it wil be easier to get help to make it run stock if you do run into initial problems (mixed up wires, turbo plumbing leaks, fitment, etc.)

Now go pull the motor and sell us what you don't need (cash waiting) , get the hotair Regal parts you need , and have fun with installing to Jeep. Do check again to make sure you will be able to use your trans or at least one that will work (can't help you there) with the buick engine. Oh, I'll have to help you identify the Riv differential, again a 3.36 ratio ( probably not though) i would buy from you, talk later. :)