Want 10's, so losing some weight

Onalky87

there hasn't been a weight reduction thread in a while....How much weight do u guys think these thins would add up to rear seats (back&bottom) insulation under rear seat , spare tire & Jack passenger seat and floor mats...also is there anything else thats easy to take off that I can do? Front/rear bumper supports?

You'd be wasting your time. The seats aren't that heavy. Fiberglass parts and aluminun parts are where the weight savings are. If its street driven car, be careful of what you remove. Want it to go faster...turn up the boost! I thought you were taking the car to Otto to be tuned, or was that someone else?

Man, i hate when people start removing seats and stuff. :rolleyes:Thats a ricer move. There are better ways to get your car in the 10's.

You'd be wasting your time. The seats aren't that heavy. Fiberglass parts and aluminun parts are where the weight savings are. If its street driven car, be careful of what you remove. Want it to go faster...turn up the boost! I thought you were taking the car to Otto to be tuned, or was that someone else?

Ya that was me. As soon as the body shop gets there sh*t together and finishes my car it will b there for a dyno tune and valve spring install. Shootin for 440-450whp on 25lbs with mods in sig

Put a big ten foot tall wing on the back of your GN and a fart can exhaust. That'll help. lol

Man, i hate when people start removing seats and stuff. :rolleyes:Thats a ricer move. There are better ways to get your car in the 10's.

I couldn't agree more with u. However this is my only option till I have enough $$$ to do heads/cam

Not enought to be worth the eyesore and pita it will be to have a street car with one seat id change the bumper supports and get the glass stock appearing bumper that Hartline sells if you still got the stock swaybar get a hollow one off a third gen camaro... Mabye try running lighter wheels at the track you can find prostars and draglites all day cheap...If you want an upgrade plus weight loss and cool factor get the wilwood dual piston aluminum bolt on calipers that summit sells..Also tweak your combo you never know what you may have left on the table...Make sure your suspension is gettin you the best 60fts possible...

No money available for weight saving things. That's why I was thinking doing that. All that stuff has gotta weigh 160lbs together. Ne to help the 11.20 @ 120 I dream about haha

I removed a bunch of stuff from a GN I owned a few years back. It made the car lighter but, It also will made my car worth less too. If i had it to do over again i would only remove things that will easily go back and not ruin the car. The car did weigh 3100 lbs with me in it (200 lbs) when i was done.

I would be re installing everything Asa I got back from the track. All that stuff is gotta be good for .2 and 2mph right?

Hi,
Well,I can only tell you about my experience with weight reduction. I had this wrecked GN that was perfectly functional,we just had to pull the front clip off it to make it so. I drove this car around with a salvage plate,and was laughed at with regularity. A couple of mustangs and camaros saw a two thirds car,and laughingly toyed with me. I shut them down. Bad. The extra weight reduction of 400 pounds of front end steel was an incredible advantage.Also the rear would plant so hard I barely could turn the tires over,at least until 20 or so. The car was such a hoot,as it sat,that I delayed repairing it. But after the Porsche 928 episode,I decided to put it back together,and sell it. Yeah,the Porsche got dusted,but it took all the thing had. He would have had me on a handling course, but the Buick HAD HIM in a drag race. Those were the days,no cameras,etc. Now they throw you in prison for some of the things I got away with.
I digress. The main point of this has been your weight reduction. Take it off where you can, but don't make it look crappy. Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce...

I couldn't agree more with u. However this is my only option till I have enough $$$ to do heads/cam

if you can't get 10's with bb 6776 at 25 psi with alky even if it's stock motor you should check your tune before you take your seats out :smile:

Tens would be awesome. Well see how things go after ottos done with it I guess.

I think your going to need a lot more alky shot into the motor than the system you have in place is going to deliver on a stockish longblock.. unless you start running racegas and use what you have for cooling.

Was here back in 2002 same story.. got the shirt ;)

You need about 150 PSI pressure on an M15 to support high 10's on a stockish longblock.

The pump you have run an inline guage t'd into the nozzle and read pressure. The smaller flojet pumps only make like 90-100 PSI on an M15. May make a little more when they're new. Still probably 50-60 PSI too little. Make sure your nozzle is an M15 not an M10. Numbers are stamped on the nozzle.

K I'll look at the nozzle tomorow. How can I check and see how much psi I'm getting? Took at the gauge and push the test button?

K I'll look at the nozzle tomorow. How can I check and see how much psi I'm getting? Took at the gauge and push the test button?

Thats one way. Understand to subtract the boost pressure from the reading. So if it reads 100 PSI thats 80 PSI going into the motor at 20 PSI boost.