Walbro 340 install question

Dan Buick Man

Buick lover
I am currently installing a Walbro 340 from Racetronix. The pump is about 3/4 inch shorter than the original and the pulsator does not fit snug when the pump is installed. Do I have to remove the pulsator and use the hose or am I missing a part? Only received the generic instructions. I have the rubber spacer between the pump and the Pulsator. How much louder is the pump without the pulsator? Thanks.

just did mine last weekend (racetronix 340 with hotwire kit)
leave off the pulsator, use the hose supplied in kit just cut it to length needed , i didnt install the foam wrap from original but I did put back the small upper rubber wedge (notched it to fit )
is it noiseir without pulsator ? id say no ,i cant hear it running .

Originally posted by Dan Buick Man
Only received the generic instructions.

Ok, it's 'vent time'. I've seen a number of similar posts on this subject over a period of time. Here's my question...if you were selling a product such as this, wouldn't you at least supply the customer with ALL the instructions necessary to install it on the type vehicle for which it was ordered? I really don't think that's asking too much after paying your good money. Thankfully, members are always willing and able to help each other, but it's pretty sad when folks need to look for the pulsator/installation answer(s). I feel it's particularly true on this item since members of this 'Buick' board (myself included) have been directly responsible for many sales of this kit. There are always new and/or inexperienced people entering the TR world and they need (and should expect) some direction and service from vendors who profit from the community....Basic Business 101.
Oops...I think I hurt myself....just fell off my soap box. :eek:

i have to say the kit was excellent , , the pics were hard to see but the online pics were better . I was sent an email after the sale that included links to site,link to harness install, link labeled "always remove pulsator and replace it with rubber hose " and a reminder to clean tank lip for good ground . and my tracking #
the instruction sheet included in box was basically the online ad with performance graph . in the box the pump came in were the original pump manufacturers instruction which are generic and probably do more to confuse than they help but still should be read through before starting ,

in all the things ive done the hotwire /pump kit was definitely the easiest to install , thumbs up to racetronix for a great kit

I agree the instructions could have been better. I had to look on here as well to see if I had to remove the pulsator. I also ended up with a lot of extra wire with the way I mounted the wiring harness. Perhaps there was a better way?

James

they provided me with a link but its not available from their site so i dont want to post it , try contacting them for the link on installing the harness . plenty of pics.
i ended up with just enough like it was supposed to be that way , ran over tank , remove fuse cover and route through frame (passenger side) follow fuel lines tie off along the way , up fenderwell( i went next to emergency cable but could run up by brake lines ) then under powermaster along firewall with engine harness , along side of valve cove(inboard side) behind a/c following harness run then to alternator . btw i didnt check the link on how to do it till tonight it was my first run at it and it went smooth .

Thanks for the info folks. In Racetronix's defense, the wiring kit appears to be very professional, I was sent an email with the link to the wiring directions, tracking # and a note to always remove the pulsator. Unfortunately I saved the link, checked the tracking number until I had a date and then deleted the email which was a month ago. I think I would have remembered that if I had installed the pump when I received it. They should put a note in the box somewhere, however. I knew I could remove the pulsator, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Regardless, pump's in, wiring next. Thanks again.

Re: Re: Walbro 340 install question

Originally posted by 19gn87
Ok, it's 'vent time'. I've seen a number of similar posts on this subject over a period of time. Here's my question...if you were selling a product such as this, wouldn't you at least supply the customer with ALL the instructions necessary to install it on the type vehicle for which it was ordered?............

At risk again being labeled as "protecting a vendor", I would like to comment on your statement.

Over the many years that vendors have sold T-R fuel pumps, Racetronics is one of the few that provides ANY installation instructions. In the "old days" [before internet boards], we had to depend on our experience or that of friends to figure out how to make things work on our cars.

When I sell a cam kit or set of heads, I assume the buyer has the knowledge to install them, or the ability to pay someone that does.

Now we should have the vendors provide ALL the info of how to install or work their product? With the public able to collect large sums for spilled hot coffee, vendors get a little paranoid about how much or little info is enough.

This board, and others, are here to provide info on simple and complicated operations on our cars. It is also a learning experience for us all, and it is understood that some members are less experience than others. Gaps in vendor info can easily be addressed.

You had your "vent time", now I had mine!:)

The one I got from Ramchargers had very detailed and great instructions right in the bag. All the right parts to do the job quickly and efficiently too. :)

It was about 3 years old however and I just put it on my car when I took out the old KB. GSS242 that I thought was a 307, another story. ;)

Not sure what they sell today.

Even my old Kenne Bell had 50 generation reprint instructions included. ;)

I would think a lawsuit would be much easier with NO instructions provided rather than the heavily disclaimered variety.

Just my .02 on fuel pumps.

Installation instructions are provided with every sale along with the tracking information. The email states in bold letters "Always remove the pulsator and replace it with the rubber hose."

The pictures in our ad sum up the pump assembly pretty well:
http://www.racetronix.com/images/Fuel_Pumps/pump_assembly.jpg

We make the harness a bit longer than needed as some people like to route it differently than others. Being made of 10Ga. wire vs. 12 or 14 like the competition's make this a non-issue. In actual fact the Racetronix harness kit is much more refined and comprehensive than any other on the market.

The installation sheet that came with the discontinued 400-835 installation kit is no longer available. Racetronix is bundling its own installation kit to support the GSS340M pumps.

Help is always a click away via support@racetronix.com so there is no reason for someone to go off in a tizzy when they run into problems.

Re: Re: Re: Walbro 340 install question

Originally posted by Nick Micale
With the public able to collect large sums for spilled hot coffee, vendors get a little paranoid about how much or little info is enough.

This board, and others, are here to provide info on simple and complicated operations on our cars. It is also a learning experience for us all, and it is understood that some members are less experience than others. Gaps in vendor info can easily be addressed.

You had your "vent time", now I had mine!:)
Yeah, Nick...perfect example of someone impulsively 'going off'. Personally, I appreciate your taking time to shed light on the legal aspect, notwithstanding my 'extreme', consumer-protective comments. I'll do my remorse thing and can only hope that somehow this discussion will have served as some kind of clarification from both directions and may have an overall positive effect. ;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Walbro 340 install question

Originally posted by 19gn87
.......... can only hope that somehow this discussion will have served as some kind of clarification from both directions and may have an overall positive effect. ;)

Other points of view are always welcome.:)

Also, I figured Jack would help with a good response like he did. As he said, when in doubt, contact him, or any other vendor if you have questions about their product and they should be glad to assist.