Wadded panties & board instructions

Clay Thompson

I just read the "crappy shifts on a new everything tranny" series of posts. Most of the text related to peoples "feelings". WHAT CRAP! WHAT DRIVVLE! As for BT's dedication to the 200 4R-users anyone who does not know that about can just kiss our collective @$$. We do not need to read constant reminders. What is sad is this is just one of many such posts. What a waste of cyberspace!

I read this board looking for technical help and pointers on making the 200 4R better.

What is really needed are instructions for using this section of the board. That would go a long ways toward helping those seeking help provide the kind of information that would get them help.

Let me try based on my limited knowledge of the 200 4R but after having read hundreds of posts to suggest how that might be written.

IF YOU ARE SEEKING TECHNICAL HELP ON A 200 4R TRANNIE HERE IS HOW TO BEST RECEIVE IT.

First, search the board for previous post describing the information you are seeking. (Do you have any idea how many times "What type of trannie oil to use has been asked?" Even tone-deaf moderators wear this question out. Makes me want to screeeeeaaammmmm!)

Second, explain about checking trannie pressures and why this information is needed to help solve problems. Might even explain the limits of assistance created by not knowing pressures. If it is a case of an "outside" trannie builder the person should be directed to get those pressures from the builder. Tells you something right up front if the pressures have not been taken. Right?

Third, maybe a list of key things to listen for or look--like the TV cable.

My panties are in a wad!

If I wanted people's feelings I'd watch Oprah.

Only Clay...

right and to the point.....and hey... I watch Oprah!!!!

thanks Clay for the insight.

Bruce
We4

And people wonder why I stopped posting here 10 X a day

Here's why. I spent an average of two hours every night working on problems I did not create, for free. I got flamed at least a dozen times for telling the truth, usually by people who couldn't freshen up a PowerGlide, much less actually build a transmission. I got at least 10 emails a day from this. And damned near every time someone called or emailed wanting a transmission built, they either said "YOU WANT HOW MUCH?", or they "kicked tires" for two months and pestered me to no end, and bought NOTHING. I really liked solving people's problems, there was a measure of satisfaction and pride. There were even a few who were very grateful and expressed it. I've worked with Sonnax and Alto to develop new products, FOR FREE!! That's right, with some help from a couple of others, people like Bruce and I spent our own time and money to develop products for everyone, and were not paid. Sure, we make a minimal profit selling parts like the Alto band and a couple other parts, but it don't pay the bills.

You'll just have to pardon the occaisional "post with an attitude", no matter how hard anyone tries, after telling people thousands of times to "take it to someone who really does know how" and "spend the money you need to now, or face the aggravating consequences later", you get a little annoyed when they don't listen, and then want free advice. Although a fair amount of good advice is provided by those who are NOT in the business, the majority of the heavy duty problem solving is done by the professionals. And Bruce carries the load most often, because Joe, Lonnie, and myself are not here much. Greg picks up the slack. It's a lot more work than you might think.

Think I'm an arrogant self righteous jerk? Well, you're entitled to your opinion.

Oh, and Oprah sucks. About as bad as Rosie.

You put a lot of thought into your post Alan. I commend you. I have seen good builder's help out here. I wonder if they all feel just as unappreciated, because I do not see them post anymore. Transmission's are probably the most complex and least understood part of a car. I think people are spoon fed free info about every other part of thier Buick. Has anybody noticed, that besides Bruce, very few vendor's give advice in these forum's? I wish I could ask Duttwieler for some free advice on my engine project. In order to give out advice, most people are giving up time that could be spent with thier family's. If you ask for advice, I would think gratitude should be shown towards the person replying. I think many people have typed answer's, with out even being acknowledged by the original poster. Try walking into an AAMCO for advice. Their standard reply is "it needs a rebuild." If you ask for free advice, at least make the effort to thank the people providing answers. If they don't get paid, and they don't get a good feeling about fixing stranger's problem's, then why do it? Just, some food for thought.