Voltage Light ?

XLR8ER

Just a Car Guy
The voltage light on my '86 GN started flickering occasionally... usually only in the mornings, at start up.
Now it seems to come on at higher speeds too... like 75 mph on the freeway. Is this a sign my alternator is going out ?

I recently replaced the starter... any possible connection to the starter going out ? Thanks in advance.

Am I really the only one to have an occasional flickering voltage light on my dash... ?
(It has been happening for quite awhile, so I would think if it was a bad alternator that my battery would have died by now.)

It doesn't happen at low speeds or idling just sometimes in the morning at startup and sometimes at higher speed on the freeway.

Any ideas ? Thx.

I get the same thing. I replaced my alternator then it stopped for a long time then started again. I'm now on my third alternator and I still have the problem every now and then. I just keep an eye on the gauge when I see the light blink. I never seem to notice the voltage drop either.

volt light

It is an idiot light. Get an autometer volt gauge. Analog. So you can see if its fluctuating. Not just a light flashing. Oh if its in your budget replace alternator & battery with new stuff.Good luck!:)

Originally posted by XLR8ER
Am I really the only one to have an occasional flickering voltage light on my dash... ?

Nope but the Scanmaster shows good voltage when it happens and the car starts up fine even after sitting so.....I gave up worrying about it