Voltage draw - Please help

alwndup

I have a draw of 5.58 volts and 0.01 amps when the the key isn't present. I've checked all the fuses in the left kick panel, the fuses screwed to the inner fenders, and disconnected the alternator. What should I check next? What's the chances I have a shorted wiring harness somewhere?

Thanks for correcting me. I checked the relays, not fuses. I guess that's a loose term as well. Let me start over. I disconnected the positive battery cable and connected my volt meter to the positive terminal with one lead, and connected the other lead to the cable. That's where I saw the 5.58 volt draw. I pulled all the fuses and the couple of spade connectors from the fuse block inside without a change in voltage drop. Then I addressed the connections under the hood. I unplugged each one of the relays, the plug and 10mm power lead on the alternator, and the orange ecm power lead by the battery. None of them affected the voltage draw. I was hoping to find it by now. Would you say that the starter solenoid is the next thing to check? I would expect to see more that a 0.01 amp draw if that's the case.

You need to be measuring for amperes of draw when you have your meter hooked up in line(this is what I am imagining per your description). Then by seeing a draw you can begin pulling a fuse at a time(and reinstall if no change is observed) until you see a difference in the draw on the meter. This gets you a circuit to chase down(a wiring diagram sure is helpful at this point). Follow the wiring and see about the things on the circuit.
Let us know what you find and if a diagram is needed. Salvagev6 has em all and will freely post up if asked nicely.

Keep us posted.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1691538731319[1].jpg
    FB_IMG_1691538731319[1].jpg
    153 KB · Views: 27
There are memory circuits that have a constant draw in milliamps for the ECM as well as the clock in the radio.
You need to measure amps. as mentioned with the meter, and check the draw with the doors and trunk closed and the hood lamp disconnected.
Start on the amp.s. scale and work your way down to the ma scale if you get no large draw. Post up the results.

An amp clamp meter would help as well.
A clamp on amp meter is not accurate enough to measure down to the milliamp range unless you have a $1700 fluke 773 clamp on milliamp meter . With everything off you should get no more than 50 - 75ma draw on the battery for most computer cars . Put your meter on milliamps with the red lead in the amp/milliamp socket then put it in series with the positive battery cable . Be sure to have everything off before putting the meter in series because most meters only have a 10 amp fuse in them for the "amps" circuit . that is one reason you have to move the red test lead to a different socket .