volt light question..help

fnsikser

sentramental 4eva
i think i posted this in the wrong section the 1st time....
a month or so ago i started hearing a rackit from my alty but i was giving no drivability issues...so i'm driving along and the volts light comes on and i can start to feel the car starting to idle a little rough so i limp it back to the shop and with the car running disconnect the battery to see if it would stay running and it died instantly..but i know not all cars react the same to this method....so anyway i bring the alty to a local place and tell him to rebuild it...i pick it up and he says he replaced the brushes a volt regulator and says the bearings were fine.....so i put it back in the car and the alty still makes the same nasty noise and after driving it for about an hour the volts lights pops back on and it craps out again....it spins freely when i spin it with minimal noise and some side to side play...do you think a bad bearing could be killing the alty...thinking of just getting a totally different alt but figured i'd get an opinion 1st...thanks

i think i posted this in the wrong section the 1st time....
a month or so ago i started hearing a rackit from my alty but i was giving no drivability issues...so i'm driving along and the volts light comes on and i can start to feel the car starting to idle a little rough so i limp it back to the shop and with the car running disconnect the battery to see if it would stay running and it died instantly..but i know not all cars react the same to this method....so anyway i bring the alty to a local place and tell him to rebuild it...i pick it up and he says he replaced the brushes a volt regulator and says the bearings were fine.....so i put it back in the car and the alty still makes the same nasty noise and after driving it for about an hour the volts lights pops back on and it craps out again....it spins freely when i spin it with minimal noise and some side to side play...do you think a bad bearing could be killing the alty...thinking of just getting a totally different alt but figured i'd get an opinion 1st...thanks

shouldn't the rebuilder know the answers to your question? If he rebuilt it as he said, why did it make the same noise when you put it back on?

thanks guys....i swapped it out for impalla ss alt...works mint....the guy who did the rebuild works some weird hours and is impossible to get ahold of...but when i do see him i'll have him fix it again and keep it as a spare.....