VNT turbo

AnArKey

Picked up a couple VNT turbos off of Ebay. They are GT3782VAs, the turbos on the 2003+ Ford Powerstroke Diesels. Each can support up to about 575RWHP.

Gonna slap one on my Supra and use my computer (AEM EMS) to control the turbine nozzles. Will see.

Thought I'd let you guys know. Buick crowd was always a better place to discuss new ideas. Scares most MKIV Supra people. ;)

If it works, I'll have a spare VNT turbo for sale.

That should be the s**t! Assuming you can get it to work, of course :) If I remember right it is a little tricky, at least the OEM way. I think they keep the vanes open for minimum backpressure/max economy while cruising, then close them upon application of throttle to get it boosted, then open them back up to control the boost while minimizing backpressure. That sort of strategy might be hard to implement. Let us know how it works out, sounds killer.

John

I'm fairly certain the vanes are controlled by a simple PWM signal to a special solenoid (called the "VGT solenoid," I have the part #), which then connects to the turbo.

Since the AEM EMS I am using as the main fuel/ignition computer has a fully programmable 3D map for the duty cycle on the output for a PWM boost solenoid, and full feedback (add or subtract duty from base table based on offset from boost target), I should be able to fully utilize the vanes, in whatever fashion I like.

Originally posted by AnArKey

Since the AEM EMS I am using as the main fuel/ignition computer has a fully programmable 3D map for the duty cycle on the output for a PWM boost solenoid, and full feedback (add or subtract duty from base table based on offset from boost target), I should be able to fully utilize the vanes, in whatever fashion I like.
Please speak engrish:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yes you have some ideas alright,,just waiting for the nuclear fision jets to power the turbines...Huh??:) :)

Derek -

I think I understand the mechanics of how you can control this thing, it's just implementing a good strategy that I'm wondering about. Using the map you mentioned sounds like it should work good for acceleration and WOT, where you want the turbo to maintain some boost level and the ecm just has to work the solenoid to make that happen.

What I'm wondering is, what about highway cruising or around town light throttle? In that case I think the OEM approach is to have the vanes wide open for minimum backpressure and max fuel economy (I might be wrong though).

If the computer is working like I think it does, under those conditions the computer will have a 20 psi or whatever set point, it will see that this is not being met, and it will keep the vanes fully closed.

Not that this is a terribly bad thing, just not fully optimized.

As I see it, the easiest thing will be to have the vanes work like a regular wastegate - closed under all conditions until the desired max boost level is approached, then start working it open. That ought to work pretty good I guess.

An OEM type strategy of having the vanes open at light throttle, close when getting on the gas, then open back up as max boost is approached, would maximize the performance but probably be tough to program, if you get my drift.

I'll be interested to see how it all works out!

John

Might want to talk to one of the many chip programmers for '03 and later Powerstrokes. They may be able to provide you with some information on how to regulate the vanes for different throttle position.

JDEstill, sure I can program it that way, no problem. There really isn't much I can't do with the EMS. It has simply amazing adjustability in it's boost output. I'd probably have it set to have the vanes wide open at low to mid vacuum, and close them down as I approach 100kpa (atmosphere), fully closed while spooling, then open them up again near desired boost.

Yes, it would. You would need some means of controlling the vanes. Obviously, the stock ECU can't do that. You could adapt the AEM EMS for a Buick, which is doable. The Gen VII DFI and/or the FAST system might have sufficient features, not sure.

Originally posted by AnArKey
Picked up a couple VNT turbos off of Ebay. They are GT3782VAs, the turbos on the 2003+ Ford Powerstroke Diesels. Each can support up to about 575RWHP.

Gonna slap one on my Supra and use my computer (AEM EMS) to control the turbine nozzles. Will see.

Thought I'd let you guys know. Buick crowd was always a better place to discuss new ideas. Scares most MKIV Supra people. ;)

If it works, I'll have a spare VNT turbo for sale.

Do you already have them in hand? Those are huge turbo's! Also, you'll notice that the CHRA is a proprietary piece to fit the special mounting surface on the Powerstrokes.

Variable Geometry Turbo

Buick had a developement T type with a variable geometry turbo in 84/85.This went along with the water & methanol car which was not released.

VATN turbos

Originally posted by REEDOG
Might want to talk to one of the many chip programmers for '03 and later Powerstrokes. They may be able to provide you with some information on how to regulate the vanes for different throttle position.

I have a VATN aerocharger turbo on my snowmobile...(I'm not kidding):cool:

Talking to the powerstroke guys isnt gonna do much help unless you plan on running heating oil in that supra;) :D I'd say that it shouldnt be that hard to figure out....for christ sake we figured it out on a two cycle :D