VIRUS ALERT - Get Protected!

I just got a WS.KakWorm worm from someone saying they have an 85 Grand National for sale, good thing my virus program caught it before it could do anything.

OK, I have a question.

When I check my email (mail is on a Unix machine) and my AV program catches a virus, somewhere in the quarrantine operation it causes the mailserver to stall. So, what I usually can do is ftp in, (my host doesnt allow telnet/ssh) edit the offending mail from the mail file, reupload the mail file and resume checking my mail as normal. The problem however comes when the mail has a couple attachments which increases its size and WordPad is used opens as the editor. I ASSume Wordpad doesnt preserve Unix CR/LF info and corrupts the mail file. I've opened the file in Homesite which DOES preserve Unix file properties, but locks on save if the file is ~.5meg or better. So, my question is this: Is there any other way to clean the mail file? And/Or, do worms execute whether you have viewed them or not? ie: If I disable AV protection, DL mail (dont view yet) re-enable AV protection then go thru the mail, would the worm have a chance to spread?
Right now I get mail on my linux machine and fwd anything important to myself, but thats a pain in the a$$.

Another 1............

There is news of a new and fast-moving VIRUS called W32.Myparty@mm that affects computers running Outlook.

The Myparty virus is propagated through an email attachment. The e-mail has new photos from my party! as it’s subject and includes an attachment named www.myparty.yahoo.com. Opening the email attachment will activate the virus. After activation it will forward itself to other people in your email address book.

Do not open any e-mail with new photos from my party! in the subject line -- even if it is from a known source!

VIRUS

FWIW,My NORTON system caught one this AM. It came as an attachment.
It said www.myparty.yahoo.com
The e-mail was titled W32.myparty@mm.
I just deleted it as the Norton system said it could not "repair' it.

Klez.A-G, a real bad worm virus that comes in through your e-mail. If you don't have it off by I believe July it will overwrite all your files with 0 and clear them out! It also get into your System32 files like it did mine and disables your virus-scan (stays in your normally operating programs) so you have to get the fix like I have that comes in through DOS to remove it then load your virus-scan again. It is moving up the list of worst all-time virus and the history can be viewed on Norton or other anti-virus sites. I found I had it on my with www.pcpitstop.com and cleaned most on www.housecall.antivirus.com/housecall PC Pitstop is great because it checks "all" of your systems and makes suggestions on things you can improve or change in your settings to make your PC run better. All that plus checks for virus and your internet connection speed. Housecall also has virus descriptions on Klez. All free, not bad!