VIRUS ALERT - Get Protected!

ChrisFrez

The Other Originator!!
I cannot stress this enough people, if you don't have a virus scanner - PLEASE get one...and if you do have one, make sure you have the most up-to-date virus definitions loaded. We are getting bombarded with viruses from members of this board along with the other websites that we run.

Please take the take and go to http://www.symantec.com or http://www.mcaffee.com and download one if you don't have one.

The W32/Badtrans@MM virus is going around like wildfire.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Don't I know it! Got rid of mine and all email going out from me is now scanned for viruses as well as what is coming in. I received two emails tonite that had it. Luckily this time my antivirus program caught it. So is the bad trans a 2004r? LOL

Also notice the reply to address has a _ prefacing the address, LIke _youremailaddress. In the body html which outlook will try to parse (Aol 5's mail client shows the raw html) will look like:

<HEAD></HEAD>
<iframe src=cid:EA4DMGBP9p height=0 width=0>
</iframe>

Sometimes I feel lucky I have AOL which doesnt parse/execute html/scripts like Outlook does. But then again, I still use Ver5. Maybe the newer versions do

I too have seen this about 50 times in the last few days

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
I just got it too! Subject line is simply: Re

Also, there was NO email text!
I just got one like this from a fellow Buick guy. Opened it (had no attachment) and it had no text. What kind of virus is it? Do you have to reply for it to do anything, or just opening the email?? Do I have it now??

I opened my email from the website yesterday (instead of Outlook) and I got the virus. Same thing, nothing for text, and subject was just Re:. So at least I didn't send it to anyone (I don't think) But, since it was a computer at work, the CSS team came and disconnected from the network once the virus was detected. You have to open an attached file (mine had a MP3 file attached, others are different I've heard) for it to do the damage. I don't really know what happened to the hard drives, but they had to completely re-format the hard drive! Good thing for backups! (Anybody ever wonder if it's the Virus scanner companys that send out the viruses?:confused: )

Originally posted by QuikBuik

I just got one like this from a fellow Buick guy. Opened it (had no attachment) and it had no text. What kind of virus is it? Do you have to reply for it to do anything, or just opening the email?? Do I have it now??
the info on what it does, how it works, etc is here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.b@mm.html

in short, it executes itself as soon as you look at the email. in outlook, if you click an email, it opens in the previw pane. virus has executed. if you look carefully, as soon as you click the email, something flashes on the screen for a split second. atleast it does for me. thats the virus doing its thing.

if you have ie5.01 sp2 this doesnt affect you. this version is up to date. there is a patch on microsoft's site for 5.01 and 5.5

Maybe I have my outlook express configured differently (?) but I always get the "What would you like to do with this file"? prompt, with the option to open or save to disk (or CANCEL). There's also a check-box in the bottom corner of the prompt box that says something like "always ask before opening this type of file"...if you've EVER UN-checked that box, then whatever type of file it was at that particular time will automatically open when you merely click-on the e-mail! The ONLY files that I have open automatically are jpeg (photo) files, since I've never seen a virus in those!

Someone a bit smarter than me about outlook could elaborate on how to make sure you're ALWAYS asked before opening attachments!

We got hit two weeks in a row, with two similiar viruii. This latest one is particularly nasty - just churns out email from your private list without registering anywhere! We didn't even open up any attachment on this one. Plus it attacked two Windows files before we got it quarantined! One of them came from some other unfortunate Buick people, and of course we spread it on. Keep your anti-virus stuff updated!

I think this thread jinxed me today.... I read it this morning going huh? I havent seen anything. So a few min ago it somehow got inside and was wrecking havic on our exchange server. Gotta love getting a hundred emails at a time...

Just shut everyone down and Im cleaning it off. What a pain in the ass. This is cutting into my web surfing time!!!!

Just received notification of another fast moving virus, this one is called
W32.Gonner.A@MM, also affects computers running outlook, The email includes Hi as it's subject and includes an attachment named Gone.scr. DON'T OPEN IT!!
Again Do not open any email with Hi as the subject line, even if it's from a known source!

Originally posted by roc87
Just received notification of another fast moving virus, this one is called
W32.Gonner.A@MM, also affects computers running outlook, The email includes Hi as it's subject and includes an attachment named Gone.scr. DON'T OPEN IT!!
Again Do not open any email with Hi as the subject line, even if it's from a known source!

Thats the little bastard :) Outlook XP blocked the attachement from running but all the users on my site run Outlook 98 so they blasted it back and forth to each to other... Its even more fun when the first address is ALL-Site so eveyone gets infected at the same time. :D

sweet,it worked...i mean,uh damn that sucks;).

shoot mike,at least it's giving you something to do(and making you look important:) ).

later,sean

Man that stupid Virus made me work 8 hours today! and I only got a 1 hour lunch :mad: ;)

get to work,mike!!!

yeah buddy,check the time,it's 4:30am(pst),i'm drunk and surfin!

i love unemployment:D!!!

hahahah.. So thats where all that tax money goes that I pay :) Drink another on me :D

Have you touched your car at all? Nooooooooooo